Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta

Sea Ray Sundancer 340 comparison to the 370

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Pseudomind, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Pseudomind

Pseudomind New Member

I am not trying to get a one is better then the other , but I would like to obtain some differences regarding both models

I know the fuel consumption from the weight difference alone is one item. I am thinking the 370 is using the same engines as the 340 so cruising speeds might be an item

So what are some other differences?

370 has a wider beam
    Tank capacities

What about operating parameters?

Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"What about operating parameters?"

Can't imagine what you're looking for that's not in the brochure, found on their web site, learned at the sea trial, or obvious.
    The 37 will burn more fuel, move slower, handle seas better, cost more to buy,store and run. Can you be more specific about what info you're looking for. :confused:
  3. Pseudomind

Pseudomind New Member

Well at the Sea Ray site I cannot find what they typically refer to as the operators manual, usually about 6 meg in size which can be downloaded. The also have a general use manual that is somewhere in size from 60-80 Meg

These smaller manuals give items unique specifications, capacities, heights measurements, weights, possible wiring changes etc.to each model, except for the years of 1995,96,97,98,99, 2000 they do not list any such model as a Sundancer 370

For the years of 2000 and up I can find a Sundancer 380 manual. But, if one looks on boat trader or baot.com, they find listings for Sundancer 370's for 1995, 96, 97, 98, 99 etc

So I am trying to download lets say a specific .pdf file where I can compare for example a 1999 340 to a 1999 370

That is all I am interested in finding
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I looked on those sights you mentioned an saw some private sellers. Have you thought of just contacting them?
  5. "Three footitis" is an affliction may Sea Ray owners develope. They get a 27' and they want to move to 30', they get a 30' and want to move to a 33'. The 37 will have more room and comforts than a 34. The extra fuel usuage based on 150 hours a year (a lot) is not really a factor compared to all other costs. Buy the boat that will make you happier for a longer period of time.

Tucker Fallon a former Sea Ray salesman way back in the mid 80's
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

He speaks the truth. I've always told people that if they are considering two boats always go for the larger because they'll be there soon anyway and it will save a lot of moneyon trade-ins and broker's fees.

3 FOOTITIS (part of 3 yearitis)
    YEAR ONE: I love my boat. I will never want any other. It's the perfect size.
    YEAR TWO: I love my boat. I will never want any other, but did you see John's? It's amazing how much bigger it seems for only 3 feet longer.
    YEAR THREE: But honey, the payment is ONLY $10 a month more and look at all the extra room. It's the perfect size and I will never want any other.:D
  7. tanickles

tanickles New Member

Sea Ray 34 and 37

I had a 2000 Sea Ray 38 Sundancer, and my friend had a 34. He had to replace his gas engines about 6 times, my boat (which I sold) is on its 3rd set. All due to water intrusion.

Sea Ray has not figured this out yet.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1st I heard about this except in rare cases. Are you talking salt (sea) water intrusion or fresh? Assuming salt, my guess would be the angle of the exhausts is allowing a backflow. What does Mercruiser say?
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

it's a well known issue... around that time (99-02), SR must have had a team of mathematically challenged engineers who coudl not figure out the basic math of riser height vs waterline... many owners had such issues...

they finally realized that a spacer on the riser solved the problem...
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Was there a recall issued?
  11. tanickles

tanickles New Member

Water Intrusion

I would not consider the problem solved by Sea Ray. I encountered the problem 2 years ago, had a Sea Ray dealer replace both engines, installed their canister mufflers, adjusted angle of the exhaust, etc. I sold my boat. The new owner just had to replace both engines again.

Sea Ray has settled with various owners (if under warranty - if not you are on your own) to avoid law suits.

I still do not believe they know how to resolve the problem.
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

As Pascal said, this is true. Two years ago, at a Volvo-Penta press conference in Chesapeake, Mike Meyers, who was head of engineering at Sea Ray for many years before going to work for Volvo Penta, explained this was a persistent engineering challenge. A good number of the boats they produced in this era were all "one-off" exhaust configurations. The question came up while discussing the simplicity of Volvo's exhaust system that exits through the IPS drive.