Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Sea Ray 500/52 Sedan Bridge

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Jim Updike, May 11, 2007.

1. Jim Updike

Jim Updike Guest

I am considering purchasing a new or used Sea Ray 500 or 52 Sedan Bridge. I wondered if anyone with experience with this boat could give me some thoughts on design, layout, quality, performance, etc. I have had a number of boats in the 25' to 34' range, but always gas powered and fresh water. I am hoping to operate this boat myself...is this a high learning curve and unrealistic expectation?

I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone with experience with this boat. Also, are the standard Cummins QSM-11 engines reasonably fuel efficient and good perfoming engines?

Jim
  2. I just sold a 2005 Sea Ray 500 Sedan Bridge to a client. At the end of May I will be going with him from Fort Lauderdale to Rhode Island, I can give you a much better report after that trip.
    From the trips I have done on the boat the QSM-11 engines seem well matched, the boat gets onto plane easily and at 22 knots were were burning around 44 GPH. With the bow thruster handling at the dock is easier. This client went from a smaller Sea Ray to this boat and he is learning quickly how to handle the boat.
    Sea Ray offers an extended warranty beyond the standard two years from Cummins at a reasonable price. This two year old boat was much, much, much, less than a new one. Sea Ray is aiming at a different market than Bertram, Viking, Ocean and other builders. Stying, design and interior amenities are critical to Sea Ray, more important the the ability to run in bad weather. But who wants to be out in bad weather unless you are a fisherman?
    Tucker Fallon
  3. brianwill

brianwill New Member

There were blister problems on some of the bigger Sea Rays a few years ago, so you want to get a good survey done.
  4. thebigeasy

thebigeasy New Member

Love my Searay 500 DB

Bought the boat new in 2005. Only complaint would be the site lines for docking the boat aren't great.I've got my lovely wife on a voice activated hands free communication system which really helps. Boat is very sea worthy and cruises nicely at 30 mph. Highly recommend outfitting the boat with a bow and stern thruster. Makes docking a pleasure.

Finishing on the boat is great and very practical. Only had one real problem with the boat at the outset with a faulty fuel pump on the Cummins engines. Other than that the boat has been extremely reliable. I have found Searays customer service very helpful.

The Searay touch screen Navigator is a real plus. I also have a Raymarine c120 for radar, fishfinder and backup chartplotter. The Searay Navigator by Maptech is much more advanced technology.

The blister problems from what I understand were on older Searays. Not an issue with post 2005 boats.