Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Westport

Savannah 54 vs Regal 5260

Discussion in 'General Sport-Yacht Discussion' started by taobsu, Nov 3, 2007.

1. taobsu

taobsu New Member

lwrandall,

It sure looks like an interesting new express/open. What you think of their 'Atrium Salon'? That open lower area shown some good woodwork, but at the cost of taken away one additional state room.

How is their sales, comparing similar class new express from other US builders like Cobalt, Silverton and Regal? Regal and other use Volvo IPS as standard, Savannah not. If possible I like to hear your take on those models as well.

The new Regal 52 express weight less than Savannah (35,000lbs vs 50,000lbs) and has more state room but asking price is way lower than Savannah's ~$1.3m. There is a news release says Regal 52 already has 2 years order book filled (deposit on 53 boats). With the 'pre-build' base price of $695k ~ $895k I think Regal is better positioned to grab market share from some Euro builders.

Maybe we should open a new thread.

some pictures of Savannah's lower salon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Here is what I was told. They have sold up to Hull 7 as of the Annapolis Boat Show which takes them out to a July 08 delivery.

I really liked the boat. The construction and equipment are first rate. Most everything is over built. Example being most mid 50 boats run a 12-15KW gen. They run a 21.5KW gen. Chilled water HVAC versus individual compressors. The twin cockpit stainless steel doors are some of the heaviest I have come across. All appliances are top shelf as well. Five blade props instead of four and the prop shafts are about a half inch thicker than standard. When I ran the boat with doors and top open you can actually have a none shouting conversation. The builder says sound readings are about 75-78db's. That is QUIET for an express cruiser. I've been on a Sunseeker Portifino 53 and it was so loud I had to stand right next to the captain and shout when I wanted to talk.

Not having a third stateroom on a 54' is not a concern for me. I feel trying to squeeze a third stateroom in a boat of this size makes it too much like a cave.

You are right about the wood work, it is pretty good. The curved piece of wood surrounding the top edge is not made in house. It is made by Gulfstream Jets (which is based out of Savannah GA). They said this was done because since they are on of the best private jet manu they have to do bends like this in most of their plane interiors.

According to the people I spoke with the boat is positioned to compete against the euro brands (Azimut, Sunseeker, Fairline). Compare the euro boats beam to the Savannah. 16.5ft vs 13.5-14.5ft.

I have not personally seen the Regal but I have seen some extensive photos of it. I prefer the lines of the Savannah. Plus I am a fan of the designer Luis deBasto. If you look at the Canodos (sp) 90 you will see the family resemblance.

In regards to the engine choice. I can only go by what I was told. They thought about the IPS but after speaking with Volvo they didn't what to go to triples like the Tiara. Also they knew Volvo was bring out an 800hp IPS in about 2008. Can you think of how fast the value of a triple engine IPS boat would go down compared to the exact same boat with twin IPS. I get a nose bleed just thinking about it:).

By the way I don't work for them I just spent about four hours talking to the sales director and looking around.

However I did find somethings I didn't love. I feel their is not as much interior seating space as some others and the master stateroom head is smaller than the guest stateroom head.

If you are looking at other boats like this check out the new Tiara 5800. I have some thoughts on this boat as well. But maybe later.