Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Satellite systems

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by libertyac, Sep 13, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. libertyac

libertyac New Member

I would welcome any experienced insights into my search for a satellite upgrade for the 106 Broward.
    We inherited an earlier KVH and haven't bothered to activate it as I'm told it is hopelessly outdated.
    The owner has Sea Tel on his 70 Buddy Davis and is happy with the performance but not with the phone costs.
    We are based in La Paz Mexico and plan to do some offshore cruising/charter when the refit is completed and are looking for a system which will provide reliable phone/internet/TV at a reasonable cost.Isn't everyone?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I dunno wat your Owners uses or expectations are but VSat is defintely worth looking at, whilst it may come with a Sea Tel antenna ( that is the hardware not the connection and service) the correct choice of a service provider will give you heaps of Internet Bandwidth, VOIP and he can stream his Sat TV from home via Slngbox if you don't have a separate TV Antenna

If you want some heads up on the choices available PM me, do not accept anything offered here by a YF Member who claims to "own the airwaves" and uses dubious references in his promo.
  3. libertyac

libertyac New Member

Thanks for that info Kiwi. Will give it a look.
    Perhaps we can help you with your Rugby team sometime.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Someone needs to help the hopeless bunch who pull on the black jersey these days.

I am not sure if the rot starts at the top and they would have been better dumping the ex headmaster from my high school after tha last WC Debacle but he isn't running the ball ont he fieldm so all team members need to have a look at WTF is going on and get their ~~~~ together as they should be able to beat anyone and win the WC again with ease but seem to be making very hard work of it to put it mildly.

Hopefully they will reach one of their peaks during the next Cup Session.
  5. thebighawk

thebighawk New Member

sat systems

VSAT wiil give you a fixed monthly rate for usage, less certain phone calls.
    Fleet broadband charges per usage. How often is boss on boat, how much is he online?
    Once you get that figured out you're closer to your answer. Rule of thumb,if online over 20 hours a month, VSAT becomes much more attractive even though inital cost is 2X the fleet. Make the boss realize, not the initial cost of equipment, it's the monthly charge.

Go to Seatel and Kvh's website and look for the footprint where you are to help with your decision

Don't forget possible blockage from mast or other equipment on mast/boat
  6. libertyac

libertyac New Member

Thanks for all that useful info Hawk. He isn't on the boat for more than a day or two but plans to occasionally charter the boat for anything from a day to a week, so will input that into my calculations.
  7. thebighawk

thebighawk New Member

vsat

if chartering, go vsat. Charge a flat fee for usage, so no call accounting.
    Most of competitors will have vsat, so you'll be equal, in that regard.
    we sell both types of vsat, and each have advantages
  8. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I am doing my research on this as well. Can anyone give the plus and minus' of the SeaTel or equivalent versus the KVH unit?
  9. thebighawk

thebighawk New Member

vsat

Seatel is an equipment provider, now, selling naked equipment, ie; not affiliated with airtime provider. Many sellers of bandwidth. Single data pipe for all transmissions. KVH has their own service using different technology, with 18 pipes. All have degredation of signal when in areas of high usage.
    Seatel, larger dome, with small one for America now out, KVH is small dome.
    Coverage is similar. All "milk run" areas covered, out of the way spots, very expensive.
    Hope this helps
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I a not sure what the actual coverage is where the original poster is intending to cruise, I do however have experience with a boat that spends a lot of time in Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf.

The only way to get the unrestricted service the clients wants we had to end up using two 1.2m Dishes.

This runs him some 20k a month so it is expensive to setup and operate.