Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Sailing yacht on deck?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by kalmeran, Nov 1, 2005.

1. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

I can imagine superyacht owners like to have some fun having a sailyacht in their fleet of toys. I am interested in solutions carrying one on the decks of their motoryacht. Examples are : My Way (the Benetti of Herbert Dahm), Le Grand Bleu , Tatoosh and Senses (the ultimate toy carrier?).
    Any more examples or suggestions where to stow this boat?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think you have already found the most interesting solutions of storing a sailboat with the mast still raised.

If you had a big sloop and wanted to carry a smaller sloop, you can make a pocket in the stern where you sail it right in. Then fix it and you have a big ketch!:D
  3. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

That is a very original idea ! :)
    On a motoryacht, you could use the STASH-solution by Amels to stow your sailboat in an open stern "marina". (I know it is a different thread, but this idea is in conflict with another Amels-solution, namely the aft deck helicopter storage, which I like so much. So I have to change my mind and stow the helicopter in the bow , like on Ecstasea ??). I know AMG is not in favour of that......
  4. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

While hardly a sailing yacht, I have been looking at the Vanguard Nomad as a daysailer for putting on a deck. It is 17ft, sloop rigged, seats 4 adults, fast, asymetrical spinnaker and light weight. Sets up in less then a hour by one person, should be a breeze to launch with a small dinghy crane. For me this is about as ideal for harbor and beach landing while still having a fast fun and somewhat dry day sailer. Cost isn't bad either, around $13,500 complete and can be ordered without the included trailer for a slight discount.

Plus Vanguard is well known for the Laser line of boats, so the quality is top notch and quite possible to come across a fleet race too in ports at local yacht or sailing clubs to join in on the fun.

So far this is the only daysailer I have found with all that I want in a fast, dry and fun boat with a spinnaker. Anyone know of others I should look into?
  5. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Another novel approach would be to have a very large catamaran as the sailing vessel. Large enough that its beam would match the beam of the "mother" yacht. Then fashion the stern of the mother yacht with the hull sides carved away (or bent inward if you prefer) just enough to clear the hulls of the catamaran. Said catamaran could then be fitted OVER the hull of the mother yacht. In a lower position than perching a monohull up on top of the deck. And without compromising the structure of the mother yacht with a hold. No doubt the catamaran should still be lifted to some degree, not just floated on. So that it does not contribute any floatation when loaded.

:D Kelly Cook