Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Burger

| Nobiskrug | 142.1M | S/Y "A" | 2015/17 |

Discussion in 'Nobiskrug Yacht' started by German Yachting, Sep 1, 2015.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

HTMO9, I very much respect your opinions, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

I had mentioned the question of heeling earlier, but could not find the particular posting in the this very long subject thread on the Falcon
    For now I will just post this photo of MF heeling over, and then image the same with a helm station that must be 2-3 times taller on SY "A"
    Maltese Falcon heeled over.jpg
  2. brian eiland

To return to that big catamaran I mentioned not long ago, it most interesting on a number of other forum discussions that the really big question in lots of folks minds is what is with the unusual bow design with those cut outs??
    Bow cut-outs, 650.jpg

This is the only explanation I have found thus far. I tried to email the designer and ask a few questions, including this one, but I had trouble trying to get around his anti-spam box to submit the inquiry.
    One one forum I made this speculation. I don't think this vessel will ever be sailed that hard that it would have need of ax bows. Half the time I just consider them a fashion statement of this modern day.
    But perhaps the designer has included some very long bulb bows, and their projection out front needed some sort of extra support by those 'blades' to reach down to the bulbs from deck level. I don't know?? :confused:
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  3. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

A.jpg

The booms move!!!
  4. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Looks like she will be out soon! I'm starting to think that she was never originally white and that they just removed a protective coating on her. If you look at some older photos of her, you can see that she had her "new" color wrapped around the railing on the yacht.
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Good point Ken. I can agree with that although for the time period that she was under cover she could have been repainted as well but your theory could hold truth to it.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

7. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

Wow! That's pretty cool! I hope we see her sailing sea trials here soon. I am really looking forward to this.
  8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yes the entire mast moves, that is quite interesting. If you look at the 'hook' on the top of the mast in comparison to the other two masts it is clear the whole mast has turned.
  9. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

Oh wow I did not notice that the first time.. That is pretty neat. This boat continues to grow on me and I'm really liking this boat.
  10. German Yachting

I really like the look of her and really can't wait to see more. The glass bottom room behind the props is a very cool area as well
  11. Hohum

Hohum Senior Member

When I saw your post I went back over the many articles that appeared last year about her, one was produced by someone who visited the shipyard and it mentioned that a custom film was being tested on the windows so that they would blend in with the custom metallic paintwork- the hime never looked metallic which may be further evidence that supports your theory.

I think we are going to be very impressed when we finally see her.
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Both the masts and the booms move. The masts rotate hydraulically within their bearing and the booms are actively moved by hydraulic rams. And the sails are furled into the booms. The main sheets are operated and controlled by computer controlled captive winches. Push button sailing!

And by official statement of the yard, the painting was done on in two steps. The last coats of metallic paint where delayed on purpose to this date. She will be refloated later in September, sailing sea trails in October and handover to her owner early 2017. Her interior is not complete jet. After successful handover SY "A" will leave for the Caribbean.

Her MTU 2 x 20V 4000 and 4 x 16V 4000 gensets are indeed of variable speed (from 1200 to 2050 RPM) and are equipped with soot filter and SCR and work with DC grid. And some final tuning had to be done on the gensets after her first sea trails.

And believe it or not, her complete rig and sailing gear including sails and the sail control system are decleared by contract as "owner supplied item". So, if it does not work, not a problem for the yard. Very clever contractual work, I must say.

Mr. Stark did not like the exhaust deflectors but they are accepted. And the yard is aware of the fact, that they need favorable weather conditions with northerly winds (pushing water into the Belt) plus actively reducing the draft in order to leave the Baltic sea.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My comments on Post 132, reflecting post 86, second vid, 3:53. Soot on the sail;
    This is acceptable?
  14. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Just accepted by Mr. Stark. He will not sue the yard and/or the owner :) (remember project Venus). My above post did not include any personal opinions or rumours, just extracts of official statements of the yard and their supply companies. I admit, I do not adore the external design of SY "A" but I am very interested in her technical aspects.

I was shown (and explained !!) the power generation and propulsion setup of SY "A". Perfect and absolutely state of the art. A further improvement in exhaust gas cleaning (with present technology) can only be achieved by using cleaner fuel like non blended GTL Diesel or LNG. And a sail, most of the time furled into the boom, will not get dirty anyhow :D.

We have the SMM 2016 going in Hamburg at the moment. The biggest exhibition in commercial shippbuilding and the maritime industry in the world. The big theme of the exibition and behind most symposiums during the exhibition is, the industry is in danger. Because of these circumstances, the drums in the industry talk very loud and in clear voice. For example, just by looking at the pictures and presented pamphlets on the exhibition spaces of the yard(s) and their supply companies, one could get an almost complete picture of SY "A" and its setup, just by correlating the available information.

Many yards are working on their last ships with empty orderbooks. The supply companies (worldwide) having delivered their parts month ago for these ships are fighting for orders. Only yards concentrating in specialized shipbuilding have satisfactory orderbooks.

We will see one or the other well known yard worldwide and even in northern Europe bake smaller buns in future or going out of business. And for our Dutch friends, building spec boats has become pretty risky.

The big thing on this years SMM is green shipping. Hybrid propulsion for yachts with silent, full electrical night mode on stored power including the use of special air conditioning systems (with stored cold !). New modes of hybrid propulsion and complete new systems. Very interesting, necessity really is the mother of invention!!!!
  15. Hohum

Hohum Senior Member

The state of the industry is clear. There is an oversupply of yachts (just look at the number of big boats currently on the market, either complete or in-build) and too many yacht builders. Only Feadship and Lurssen currently look secure at the top end of the market. Nobiskrug has been signing up yacht concepts to market for a while, both Claydon Reeve's Radiance and Andy Waugh's Ascendance are now being marketed by the yard but its a competitive space, Fincantieri, B&V, A&R etc are all chasing the same small number of clients.
  16. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

I am pretty shure, the statement of HTM is not concerning superyachts ( larger ones).
    More than likely commercial shipbuilding like Containerships for example.
    There is still a huge overcapacity in this sector.
  17. Hohum

Hohum Senior Member

The whole industry is in trouble but the same is true for the superyacht market, too many boats for sale, too many boats being built on spec and too many yards. We have already seen some consolidation.
  18. brian eiland

Would you say this is true for both power and sail superyachts?

I just ran across the sailing superyacht that embodies the pure joy that first attracted me to sailing yacht design, clipper bow, beautiful sheer, cherry interior. etc. What man (sailorman) couldn't be happy owning this gem. And she has just been reduced in price by 1M
    FOFTEIN II
    http://www.****************/en/yacht63.html
    profile view dwg, ps.jpg 1-123925l-960x540.jpg
  19. German Yachting

There just seems to be a significant lack of new builds in the sailing market for 36-60m. Nautor Swan and Oyster seem to be doing well in the 30-35M market but above that, the order books seem small. Along with SY A, there are two other large sailing yachts in build: Oceanco's Project Solar/Black Pearl and Dream Ship's Symphony.
  20. brian eiland

Sounds quite exciting and interesting. I did see this:
    http://www.smm-hamburg.com/en/
    I've always thought it would be exciting to visit the Dusseldorf boat show.It is suppose to be quite BIG as I understand it. I did manage to visit the METS show in Holland on 2 occasions. I was very impressed with the quality of the exhibits in the European shows, compared with those in USA.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016