Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Sailboat grounding in Corolla, NC this morning

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by 993RSR, Jun 22, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Have no idea how they ended up in this position. Doubt things will get better from here. The owner should drop the cheeseburger and walk ashore with as much gear as he can. Call the insurance company.

Attached Files:

2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

At least it’s pointed in the right direction!
  3. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

OK this gets worse. Word on the street (hope its not fake news) boat was just sold and this is the delivery captain taking her to her new owners.
  4. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Oh no.. this is one of the best skippers for any sailboat you could hire. 100’s of deliveries to the islands...
    Word is the impeller came apart, shut down the motor (no spare) but could not tack out to safe water.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You can see the anchor line pulled out guitar string tight.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It could be retrieved with minimal damage or even no damage as the tide rises. Could easily be pulled to deep water and safety as long as it remains upright. Hopefully is already off the beach.
  7. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

The more details emerge the harder this is to imagine. This skipper does not qualify to race as an amateur that's how much seat time he has.
    Anybody can be the victim of a bad chain of events regardless of your qualifications or experience. Hope it ends well.
    Do nastier sound than that thud of the keel hitting the bottom as you cycle through the swells. Don't ask me how I know.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Geez. What the heck was he doing so close to shore anyway... I had too look up where Corolla is but there are no inlets nearby so it wasn’t like he lost propulsion approaching an inlet. And impellers don’t just fall apart, they give you plenty of warning with a little louder exhaust before temps even go up
  9. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

No clue. What I can tell you is that this is like a F-1 driver having a car crash in the neighborhood.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My guess is they came out Oregon Inlet and were heading for Chesapeake Bay or visa/versa. Still why he'd be so close he couldn't get a sail up or at least an anchor out where it'd do some good, I DK. At least it appears he's got a strong keel.
  11. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

The trip began in Annapolis
    Bottom photo is Tuesday morning. Stiff breeze fills in from the south after 17:00 today. 25 knots out 5 miles from his location tucked inside the cape. Could create a damaging swell pattern.
    42A.jpg 42 Du.jpg
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think the insurance company is going to be very interested in
    1) the course this "one of the best skippers for any sailboat you could hire. 100’s of deliveries to the islands..." was following,
    2) why coming from Annapolis with a plan to stay on motor he chose not to stay on the ICW and
    3) opted for Oregon Inlet and
    4) if not heading for Oregon why he'd be that close to shore
    5) why he was on motor and why he didn't deploy sails when he had motor trouble,
    6) why he didn't deploy his anchor long before he got that close to shore.
    7) why he didn't use that dink as a tow boat.

All leading back to big questions about (1) and the skipper's liability.
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If he's a captain who uses a contract and has a decent one drawn up by a qualified attorney, I doubt seriously there is going to be any personal liability on the part of the captain. I think both the CG and perhaps NTSB and the Insurance company will interview the captain and he'll be able quickly to answer all the questions as to how it occurred. I think he'll probably look at choices made along the way and things he wishes he'd done differently, but that doesn't pass liability to him. Again, assuming a written agreement, he likely only is liable if there's some gross negligence.

For instance, if he was sleeping and had the boat on autopilot with no one standing watch, then that would qualify, in my opinion, as gross negligence. That leads to the first question I would ask which would be what other crew on board and what hours was he running. I don't care how good one is, if they're the sole crew and running 24 hours a day, that doesn't meat what I consider adequate standards. I know in the sailboat world there is a lot of that done, a lot of sole operator deliveries running day and night, and I always disagree with them and feel they don't meet the most basic watch requirements. If he was the entire crew and had sailed from Annapolis to Oregon Inlet, then that could easily explain what took place. Now, I don't know that to be the case.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Oh, in my head I'm seeing the combination of the timing of the issue with regards to egress through the channel, tides and big currents, wind and other weather conditions. Easy to point fingers here, but stuff happens...and after it does to any of us there is always a point in time where you second guess some of your decisions. Hell, I second guess mine all of the time, both before, during, and after, even if everything is going right.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In thousands of deliveries over 30 years, from just crossing L.I. Sound to Boston to Miami, I never had a contract. I understood that my first mistake could mean my house as well as my career. I wouldn't only require multiple crew on a 24 hour run; I'd never do a multi-day transport (putting in at night) without multiple crew. Do we know this Skipper was alone?
  16. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Never contracted a captain. But plenty times I’ve obtained his credentials and had him added to my policy as an approved operator. That isn’t necessary if I’m aboard.
  17. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Lol! You got that right...! On the launch pad!
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In 30 years the only time I was asked for my creds was for commercial work. Never even asked for my references. What's the matter with people? I'd never hire a first issue captain except as a deckhand/mate, and I'd want to check refs before I hand someone the keys to my million dollar toy. (correction, I was asked by one / maybe two client's insurance companies.)
  19. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

I received a text vid around 08:00 of the boat being pulled off the sand. Appears he was freed.
    I will try to get an ais track.
    Not too many years ago another respected delivery skipper was heading into Masonboro Inlet and ran up on the jetty on a beautiful morning. Sea Ray H/T express boat 52-60 feet as I recall.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

He's only respected on the internet, NOT in town. Unless you want a recipe for clam chowder. :D Has a habit of even running 80' yachts with no crew. Rumor has it he went to use the head, going out the inlet on autopilot and the autopilot thought otherwise.