Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Burger

Safety on the water after an evening activity?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Jul 6, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We usually view the forth of July fireworks on the St, Johns river in Jacksonville. After many years we stopped going because the local river traffic was becoming more unsafe. Before and during the event, local police (NOT USCG) would wake the heck out of everybody while trying to enforce a low/no wake zone (Raspberries to them)
    The fire works were always great launched from two and sometimes three barges. Just as the last rocket would go up, you can hear the engines all around the river crank up.
    That last rocket reports, everybody sounds their horns in approval and the races back to the docks and ramps start. VVVAAAARRRUUUMMMEEE.
    Within moments the radio is abuzz; mayday, mob, flooding.
    Amazing show, after the show.
    We would stay anchored for another hour or so waiting for the local boat races to complete (or completely sink). Amazing, those same racers are allowed to drive cars also.

So this year, we were finishing up our vacation and stopped in St. Augustine. At the wife’s request, we tied up to a mooring ball just south of the famous Bridge of Lions downtown. It just so happened to be 4 July. More of the amazing show after a great show here also, just this time, I turned off the radio, we finished up our champagne and relaxed for the rest of the night.

Finally my points;
    I have witnessed for many years, when people leave the dock / ramp, they leave there brains or good sense also.
    Never understood the race back to the boat ramp just to wait to get hauled. Big boats have a similar calamity at the docks in a hurry to get tied back up.

RE; http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/g...incident-alleged-overloaded-34-silverton.html
    Somebody had a great brain fart. Knowing it would be a madhouse out there. Big wake, Dark, Long day, unknown sobriety of other boaters, yada, yada,,,
    I’m sorry for the loss of life; it could have been easily avoided with some common sense.

BTW;
    Remaining on that mooring ball for the rest of the night was great. I will keep this in mind for New Years, the next air show, next 4 July or anything else.