Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

RYA/IYT Yachtmaster offshore training

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by oceango, Mar 1, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. oceango

oceango New Member

I would like to pursue a professional career in the marine industry.
    Could anybody tell me which certificate is most suitable to work worldwide as a skipper. The RYA yachtmaster offshore or the IYT master of yachts offshore.
  2. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

RYA for sure

The RYA 200 is more recognizable worldwide than IYTs MoY. Visit MPT after you visit IYT. MPT is a more diverse and professional training facility. I've attended classes at both.
  3. JAG1

JAG1 New Member

Couldn't agree more with aeronautic1; the RYA is a solid training base and has worldwide recognition there are dozens of schools all over the world. Personally I'd go to Hoylake in Liverpool as the guy who runs it has a lot of contacts in the large yacht industry and knows what he's doing. Just my preference of course, its not quite as sunny there though.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"I would like to pursue a professional career in the marine industry."

Do you want a career in the marine industry or as a yacht crewmember? There is a difference, if you go with the yacht tickets you will be limited to the yacht industry as those tickets are not valid for any other use. That is the other side of getting a license with no sea time or experience requirement.

If you want a professional career in the marine industry, you would be far better served to attend a maritime academy, either a 2 or 4 year school with a cadet program and get a license that is "portable" and valid for service on any size of vessel. It may seem like a long time but will actually take less time than spending 4 years to accumulate 6 months sea time on a yacht. Being "signed on" and washing down is not nautical training or experience at sea.