Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Rudee Inlet Va.navigation and it's marinas. Looking for current info.

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by cleanslate, Aug 24, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Looks like I'm heading to Virginia Beach from Cape May mid-September to visit friends and family.

What's the story with the inlet? Seems to me it's not the best inlet from what I've been reading, but lots of local boats seem to use it.

My Girlfriend and I will be staying on the boat, 42' Ocean Yachts, Sunliner, not sport fish.
    What's the better marinas in the area? We are cruising boaters and do not need the fishing amenities.
    BUT, do like cable, wifi, good 50 amp electric, etc.

Any info would be appreciated .
    Thank You.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not an inlet generally used when transporting, but if you Google the satellite view it looks quite easy. Also born out by the number of small boats there. Just follow the jetty to stbd in, not the breakwater to port. The main marina looks to be just under the bridge on your right where I see several boats in the 60'+ range including one of those "Wild Thing" type tourist speed boats.
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Was reading it has a constant ongoing shoaling problem...yes it looks straight forward on satellite photos , but how old are the photos?

just hoping to hear from someone that uses it recently.
    I see a lot of pictures of big sport fisherman and party boats in the harbor.
    Just hoping it’s not as crazy as some of your south shore Long Island Inlets can be ! Lol.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Oh you've been through Moriches. lol. Best bet for current info would be to contact the local Sea Tow or one of the commercial boats there.
  5. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Don’t forget Lynhaven inlet. A couple of marinas and restaurants. Just a little bit up the bay. Might be the same distance as Rudy coming from the North. Check the height of the bridge and beware of the current. Depending on where your friends live Lynhaven might be closer than Rudee.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes I did look over Lynhaven but it's a bit far away. They will be very close to Rudee. But thanks for the input. You never know I may wind up there.
    USCG local notice to mariners is saying May 8 2020; Shoaling 200' east ends of the jetties outbound channel; west channel. along with shoaling across the inner channel 5' and 7 ' mllw.
    Hoping to follow in a local Sportfish or Head boat. I should be arriving on a Friday or Saturday afternoon. Of course low tide is in the afternoon.:mad:
    In the mean time I'll talk to the Dockmaster of the marina we choose.
    Also that is a good idea to call up local Tow Boat US or Sea Tow.
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

No I've been right up against it on the inside route from Jones Beach to Shelter Island and had the pleasure of going through that %#$!?@ Shinecock Canal! That's like running you boat down the log flume at the amusement park, and then some!
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

NYCAP123 ! Thanks for the tip. I just got off the phone with the local Tow Boat US captain out of Virginia Beach. I should have no problem even at low tide, favor the north side/red side jetty and come straight in. Like you said.
    He said the local coast guard has a dredge there, from what I gathered , at all times and keeps up on the channel. That's real nice !! I'd say some Wash.DC politicians make sure there boats, and inlet is kept clear for fishing.o_O
    Any way as far as marinas go, he said Rudees Inlet Station and Fisherman's Wharf Marina are good choices to stay.
    Hope I can get some good VA moon shine while I'm there!
    Thanks for your help.
    It was real easy, just call.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Are you familiar with dredge operations (day shapes and lights, where to cross pipes, etc)? If not brush up. It can be confusing and coming in an inlet is not where you want to be confused. If you have any doubts call sea tow back and ask what they can tell you about it. They may even be able to email you a pic. Nothing wrong with asking for help and education, but there's a lot wrong with ripping off your running gear or worse. My guess it that the operation will be on the south side and coming in along the north jetty will be no problem, but it's good to know in advance if you can. Remember to pass the operation at dead slow and watch for small boats working. Good luck and safe travels.
    I think you'll be a bit far east to find shine, but who knows.
  10. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes I'm familiar with dredging operations, dealt with them often on the Delaware River. Vhf channel 13 and a call to the dredge was my practice on where to pass. I let the operator of the dredge advise passage always. Never really cared about the day shapes. I always call the dredge ahead of me when I'm unsure in a tight passage.
    Anyway not counting on any dredging going on cause there is none going on now. Looking forward to the trip, thanks.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Perfect.