Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

Rudder

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by post46, Mar 12, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. post46

post46 Member

Did anybody upgrade from the old Rudder know if it's worth it doing I have old rudders on my 83 post is it worth upgrading spending the money on the new ones doesn't make a big difference
  2. porthole

porthole Member

I did mine. But I was forced to when one rudder spun on the post.
    I ended redoing everything for the steering. Rudders, ports, the shelf etc.
    The replacement rudders were a different shape and a bit wedge shaped.

I was also told, by Post, that the newer style rudder would be better for steering. But I do not recall if there was any difference.

prop hitting ground_11-14-02_02 copy.jpg
  3. post46

post46 Member

4. post46

post46 Member

That's the new style I was just curious if there was any difference in the ride that's definitely the new style I was thinking about doing that new style but I just wanted to talk to somebody and be sure it's worth my you no money to buy the newer ones they say it makes a big difference some people have told me but I don't know anybody that's made the switch
  5. post46

post46 Member

Especially in a following sea obviously
  6. post46

post46 Member

Thank you porthole for the response I was just know you say you don't know if you could tell a difference or not
  7. porthole

porthole Member

I really don't recall. But, considering the amount of money and time spent, I'm sure I convinced myself at the time it was an improvement.
    I know a lot of people criticize the older Posts' ride in a following sea, but with only 4 degrees of deadrise you have to expect that somewhat.

I could see where the blade being deeper and less length horizontally how it would be better in certain sea conditions, e.g. following sea pushing all that surface area of the original rudders.
  8. post46

post46 Member

Thanks porthole for the comeback and I appreciate it you don't recall that the cost of the runners at the time and I'll just keep looking to see if somebody else put something on their minds a 46-foot and I have the original original 1983 Rutters sell a 6 to pull it out of the water for the for the summer down here in Florida and have work done on it so I was considering doing doing that thanks for the input I appreciate it
  9. porthole

porthole Member

It looks like I did the work in 2002 for about $1700, not including the rudder shelf I made out of fiberglass.
  10. post46

post46 Member

Thank you for coming back and let me know that though I think myself is still pretty solid but I just wanted to find out if I want to spend the money for doing just the rotors or not somebody else said you could put a little weight back in the back compartment like LED bars that would help in the following see likewise I don't know I'm just waiting to see what if anybody else replies out there and it has a 46 Post in the mid-eighties thank you
  11. post46

post46 Member

That was led not LEDs
  12. OutPost

OutPost Member

unless I was so unhappy with my current handling performance that it was at "fix it or sell the boat" level - I would not spend money upgrading functional boat parts.

Enough stuff breaks / wears out that has to be replaced no matter what each year - it would be hard for me to justify replacing something that is working fine just because it might maybe perhaps make a subjective handling improvement.

But I'm not everyone of course.
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

FWIW, I agree with you.
  14. post46

post46 Member

Thank you guys for your opinion I was just curious if you're right there is something that breaks every year that you have to replace there's no doubt about that I just heard some people say that it made a big difference or not and that's the only reason why I put it on the form to just see what majority of the consensus were out there but I do appreciate everybody getting back to me
  15. porthole

porthole Member

I only did the rudders because one of the originals spun on the shaft.
    I don't recall the exact makeup, it was either:
    Bronze rudder, stainless pin, bronze shaft
    or
    Bronze rudder, stainless pin, stainless shaft
    That coupled with a neighbors leaky boat equal a failed rudder (electrical - galvanic corrosion).

The shaft had a shaped end cast into the rudder. Either the shaft deformed or the rudder.

Was an expensive year for me.

Rudders and all the hardware
    Shafts and dripless couplings
    Props
  16. post46

post46 Member

How do I put a picture of my boat on the form step by step