Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Rub rail wax removal

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Maxwell, Jun 18, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

There is some residual dried wax that got on the black rub rail over the years when the boat was being waxed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove? We've tried the usual boat cleaners (roll off, spray 9 etc) to no avail and I came up empty using the search function here...

Any help is appreciated.

Max
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Tape it off and sand it off with 400 grit trimite sandpaper and then finish with 600 grit.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Green scrub pads.

I think it's elbow grease that is going to remove it. Not a cleanser.
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Scotch Bright pads are an excellent idea & didn't think of them when responding, would still tape off to protect any painted surface nearby using S.B pads though.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, tape off the trim and paint. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Good thing I have great friends to follow up behind me.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

There is a liquid power cord cleaner available in Fl but not in NY - maybe not where you are. Someone here may know the name, but it cleans a power cover or other similar material in a snap. Smells a bit like acetone but isn't.
  7. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Appreciate the suggestions guys! I'll give these a try and report back.

max
  8. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Just to close the loop on this thread... My guy tried the power cable cleaner and with a fair amount of elbow grease it was working. He then tried 3M adhesive remover and this worked better without as much effort. It's still not perfect, but much better than it was. I'll likely have him go over it once more and if that doesn't remove everything, will resort to sanding over the winter as captholli suggested.

max
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Just be cautious that you don't use something that will compromise the rail's material. you don't want to wind up with a tacky surface. Do a spot check