Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Route du Rhum and foils

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Nov 11, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

anybody else amazed at the speed at which the Ultime Class is about to complete the Route du Rhum from Normandy to Guadeloupe? The two leading Trimarans left just a week ago and are about to arrive this afternoon. Looks like they will beat the previous record of 7 days and 15 hours (I believe)

The rest of the fleet ( Imocas, and smaller multis and monos) are far behind and a number of the 123 competitors have dropped out or taken shelter due to three strong storms early in the race.

Also, the American Magic challenge has just launched its 38’ monohullyear boat in Newport. The thing just popped on its foils on the first Sail. Amazing technology.

For those who haven’t followed the next America s cup will use 75’ foiling Monohulls... these are true foilers unlike the Imocas.

Amazing

Www.routedurhum.com

2. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Yes. Amazed and quite honestly afraid. I cannot imagine getting used to that ride. I see that on YouTube and just marvel at the forces involved. Quite fantastic really.
    I am looking forward to all of it.
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

It would be cool to see some advanced controls with safety features that would allow non-professionals some access to that kind of performance under sail !
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Two miles from the line in Guadeloupe and the two trimarans are within half a mile of each other...amazing!

Live on Facebook.
  5. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Pascal, they look becalmed at the finish, what a race!
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Incredible. Gabart who led most of the race until 2 hours from the finish almost came back as Joyon got a net or pot caught in his stbd Rudder 7’ minutes on the line.

7 days 14 hours , a new record

The first race back in 1978 had a 98 second Delta with Mike Birch on a trimaran passing Malinowski on his big mono.

And... the winner is 62 year old!