Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

Route du Rhum 2010

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by brian eiland, Nov 13, 2010.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

This race has just finished, and was quite spectacular. Regrettable I wasn't able to follow it this time.

But I did see this interesting link to a number of photos at the start of the race:
    Plenty of pics of the multis at the start here....
    http://picasaweb.google.com/atacapoum/RouteDuRhum2010#

...interesting observation
    "Amazing to see sailboats sponsored by Chocolate Companies and Fruit and Vegatable distributors. The french got it really bad for sailing. I got there on Wed and it was too crowded to walk the docks, had to go early in the mornings to speak with anyone.

Heard 2 million people were there during the week. How do we get this to happen in the US?"

John Franta, Colligo Marine.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

French Influence

Missed that posting of yours, or I would have just contributed to it.

What really caught my attention again was the HUGE crowds that come to these sailing events in France.
    (Heard 2 million people were there during the week. How do we get this to happen in the US?)

I was over in France at the very beginning of these multihull events known as the Formula 40's back in the late 80's. It became almost a visiting carnival atmosphere in these small French towns when the races came to town...multiple tents, stages, outdoor gaint screen TV's, etc.

The French have certainly embraced the sport of SAILING in a big way...good clean fun, and a learning experience.

And they have certainly helped the multihull movement in a BIG way, even down to embracing these boats in charter fleets around the world.