Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Lurssen Click for Llebroc Click for Cheoy Lee

Rogues & Ugly Boats!

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3 weeks in the same place. What is the law in your area about this?
  2. Ward

Ward Senior Member

All waters in Canada are federal jurisdiction, but the problems tend to happen at a local level, so every local jurisdiction has to come up with a way to deal with their particular problems.

In Vancouver, the biggest problem is that False Creek is a nice protected area right in the middle of the city, so if they could, a ton of people would live aboard year round on crappy, unsafe boats. It's a cheap way to live in an extremely expensive part of town.

Several years ago, the city did a deal with the Federal government so the feds put restrictions into place to limit how long boats can anchor in False Creek (roughly, 14 days out of month) and gave the authority to the Vancouver police to enforce the rules. If someone overstays, the police can give them a "Direction Notice" telling them they have to leave and if they don't, the boat can be impounded.

Most of the time, people leave when the tow boat shows up, but every year one or two boats get impounded and the owners can't or won't pay the fees to get the boats released (the boats usually aren't worth anything), so the boats get recycled. The city eats the cost of impounding and surveying and recycling, but it's cheaper then the cleanup when boats wash ashore.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I can’t inagine anyone buying this thing :)

Here in Miami they wait for the derelicts to sink or wash ashore to get rid of them. One issue is that when a storm approach they come in and tie up to the mangrove inside the marina restricting the fairway and getting loose if a storm hits.
  4. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Here are some close up views.
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

This design is growing on me after viewing some photos last week of some transformer capabilities on the interior / exterior by way of very large balconies folding out where some of the the dark atrium glazing is. This is going to be a spectacular yacht from an interior standpoint user wise that will explain some of the outboard profile lines .
  6. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I agree, it has grown on me and reminds me a bit of FOGGY, built At Brooklin Boat Yard a few years for Frank Gehry
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

This came into harbour yesterday. The 41m Porsche designed 'Royal Falcon'.

I think I can live without it.
    Royal Falcon.jpg
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

They are heading for MYS (Monaco) to show it for the first time. We are building a cat about the same size why it is interesting to see the reactions on this styling...
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Whew, another Dream Boat!
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

rsz_20190921_172705.jpg surely a work in progress.......
  11. pamibach

pamibach Member

I used to think there was no such thing as an ugly boat,I've changed my mind.... what were they thinking?
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Judging by the condition of the plywood I’d say work no longer in progress
  13. MathieuPicard

MathieuPicard New Member

[​IMG]
    Found thisss ugly badddd boy.

This little workboat looks as if it’s seen it all and then some. How it isn’t part of an artificial reef nestled at the bottom of the sea is no doubt a surprise to many who’ve seen it in all of its rusty glory. Named Desmar Uno, I'm not exactly sure what the boat’s true function is but it may have something to do with tug operations if the old tires strapped to its port and starboard sides have anything to do with it. Workboats certainly don’t have to be pretty but we’re nearly at a loss for words with this one. We would think at the very least a boat of any kind would at least try to look seaworthy, but maybe that just doesn’t apply to this type of boat. ;)o_O
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Publisher/Admin

Attached Files: