Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

Riviera aka Wellcraft 40 Coastal Review

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Alzira II, Feb 9, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Riviera made some boats sold under the Wellcraft logo in the US, the 40 Coastal model in particular. Does anyone have any experience with this boat? I would put this under brand specific but there is no Riviera section in sportfish- sorry if this should be different space.

I think we all have a consensus that Riviera is a lower tier sportfish as oppose to some of our more respected american brands. I would love to dig deeper though and see how this boat may ride. It is a relatively light 24,000 lb and has a true LOA closer to 44-46. My assumption is being this light and a bridge boat it may not be the best sea boat. I am coming out of a 12,000 cruiser so compared to what i a used to for my boating I would think this would be a major step in the right direction.

I have been viewing Post 50 as the dream boat but. but for my sub 300k budget I am assuming ownership of a mid 90s pretty large boat that is now getting up their in years. I have viewed 4 and they range from an earlier 90s boat that would need completely redone to be at my standards to a more late 90s boat at the tip of my price range but that just frankly I dont think justifies the money. Sometimes you look at something and you just know what it should really be selling for. I viewed a boat that would work the other day but the asking price is 80k more than the owner paid for it 5 years ago with no major refits. I think they will probably get close to their ask price though, this economy has things moving but I am not sure i want to join the circus.

Back to my question at hand,,,,, I am wondering if a baby step for my family could be one of these rivieras,, thanks for the input all.
  2. RIV

RIV New Member

The Coastal 40 is sold in Australia as Mariner 3850. It uses the Riviera 4000 express boat hull, with a flybridge added. The hull is considered one of the better designs Riviera for that period.

Build quality wise, Coastal 40 is well made despite its light weight. After 15 years ownership it never rattled, leaked or had any cracks. In rough waters the boat does tend to bounce a bit more off the waves but being less heavy means you burn less fuel and the boat goes faster. Also, after 15 years the hull was solid, no osmosis or blisters.

While Wellcraft/Riviera marketed the Coastal 40/Mariner 3850 as a sportsfishing boat it was more a competent family/pleasure cruiser. Interior layout was very sensible and user friendly with nice touches such as a separate dinette, unusual for a boat this size.

Another good point is a logical distribution of space for berth, salon, flybridge, cockpit, and engine room. Finally access to the engine room is via a door in a cockpit. It doesn't get better than that for ease of routine maintenance and repairs.

Gripes? The toilet bowl could be a bit larger. Fitting kiddy sized toilet bowls is a common problem with all boat makers. A few screws in the engine room rusted. They were not fastening anything critical but only high grade stainless should be used on a boat, period.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

12,000 lbs sounds like it might be a pocket cruiser? Nice boats, but if you have not piloted a big SF/bridge, a Post 50' be a challenge at first. Though I recommend the boat without hesitation. Mine has given my family 20 glorious years of service. Surprised to hear the 50's you are looking at need a lot of work?. Don't know anything about the Riv you asked about. Hope I didn't waste your time, but I think everyone should be fortunate enough to have a Post!
  4. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Don't want to sound gloomy, but if you wait 6 months you may be able to buy your dream boat for much less than current prices. There will be a recession from the Covid 19 shutdowns and boat prices usually take a big knock in recessionary times.