Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for JetForums

right to belongings?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by 636jay, Jun 4, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 636jay

636jay New Member

Hello everyone

I was released from my firstmate job while in Cabo in November.
    I had minutes to get some stuff I owned off, but not all.

Was told I would be contacted when the yacht reached state side and my items would be shipped. I was never contacted, i found out they were state side by getting an update on old captains facebook a few days ago. I made contact and was told that my stuff was donated to charity because it would cost to much to ship.

Before finding this out. I offered to pay for shipping and even offered to put in on my parents fedex account.

Do I have any rights? This was a US Flagged vessel and again it Happened in Mexico?

Thank you
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I guess you must have left in less than friendly circumstances.

I doubt there is much you can do about this now.
  3. 636jay

636jay New Member

I left in good terms. My motorcycle was stored at my captains folks house. I flew to Cali and got it. No problems.
  4. Fishbucket

Fishbucket New Member

Minutes to pack, Released from Firstmate, in Mexico....
    Donated it , because it was to expensive to ship....

Something is not adding up. Doesnt sound like " Good Terms" to me

:confused:
  5. Chasm

Chasm Senior Member

Good terms or not, the same two questions come to my mind.
    - What does the contract say?
    - Whatever the contract says, what do the rules say?

Paid crew so there certainly will be rules and regulations regarding this matter. It certainly did not happen the first time.

US rules because of the vessels flag.
    Maybe Mexican rules because the crew member left the vessel there.

But this is something that someone who knows these rules should answer.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Something doesn't sound right, nobody gets fired and kicked off a boat within minutes unless something very serious happened.

It s your word against theirs unless something was put in writing, like a letter or email to the owners rep. To confirm what was left behind and that it would be shipped once state side.

I m not sure anyone will but the story and side with you in court.
  7. 636jay

636jay New Member

I have emails saved with all statements. It is hard to explain the situation. The captain had brain surgery and would snap, like having super bipolar. He has told me to get of the boat a few times and was nice two seconds later. This time he lost it.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

What triggered the instant firing..?

None of my business, just curios.
    Have worked under many Captains myself and they only time one of them lost it and yelled at me was when I took his "special" chair at the bridge.
    (I thought he was down bellow eating dinner, but he showed up at the bridge and saw my arse in his seat and went ballistic.:rolleyes:..I know, my fault)
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's a U.S. flagged yacht and you were hired in the U.S I assume. Then U.S. law applies. The yacht's owner is claiming "abandonment". You have to be able to prove that you didn't abandon them.
    The real questions here are what is the depreciated value of the items you left and what was the reason you left them. ( Is it worth the cost and energy of litigation?)
    Under the circumstances though it may be worth your while just to cost the owner for satisfaction even if you can't collect. I once went after a guy for $100, because the guy was an SOB and I knew the he'd use a lawyer. My first question of the lawyer was "Are you being paid or doing it as a friend?". When he said he was getting paid I made sure he got a ton of "billable hours".:cool:
  10. weto

weto Senior Member

Remind me NEVER to piss you off Capt ! :eek:
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When you have someone who tries to be very good to you it's a big mistake to search out the other side of his personality, especially an old guy with my background. I worked 3 weeks on an untreated broken foot and the guy stiffed me on the airline's fee for my bag, plus no tip. He was a miserable SOB, making unappreciated racist remarks and 'jokes' the entire trip. That $100 cost him over $3K, and I handled it entirely in my spare time. Yep, good advice weto. :cool:
  12. 636jay

636jay New Member

Thank you all for the replys. I guess i should have worn my gopro that day. also guys you would need to understand the guy snaps. He told me to invite my girlfriend up to cabo to spend 5days with her since we worked a month straight with bringing the boat to mexico and charters right after. the day my chick left i returned to the boat and he snapped that the boat was a mess. him and his buddy where the only to on it. before i left for the 5days i told him i offered to do my daily wipe downs and he said no worries. Tried explaing it to him and he went nuts. The other captain called me and said no worries i will take care of your stuff. He was the on who put it all in the garbage.
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Unless there was something really important in your stuff, it sounds like it's going to go down as a Life Lesson Learnt.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've met one person in my life that I can stand spending 24/7 with for more than a few days. I married her. 30+ days is pushing luck. Never mistake a person on a job or on a boat for a friend. They're acquaintances whose personalities you're forced to tolerate to complete a job. Some people are incapable of controlling their personalities. They can make life hell or tempt you into very illegal actions. The bottom line though is that once you're gone, you're gone. DO NOT depend on anybody acting in your best interests and you won't be disappointed. Sounds like you've been taught a life lesson. Take heart though, because there's a life lesson that captain and his buddy have failed to learn. It's a very small world. You'd be amazed how many people you'd never expect to see again that somehow show up in your life years later. Sometimes as someone you're asking for a job. Sometimes as the cousin of a girl you really want to get with. Karma's a witch.