Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

RIB Boat Cleaning and Restoration Input Needed

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Jan 17, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

What do you all like for cleaning and restoring the inflatable pontoons on a RIB boat? I'm looking at the Speed Clean and Poly guard products. Any feedback from anyone that's used these? I need to give my RIB some serious cleaning and attention before the season starts this spring. I've also seen where acetone can be used to clean. I have a 14' Novurenia. I don't recall the model year but I'm sure it is 20+ years old. Nothing wrong with the boat, just needs some TLC. What say you all?
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Novurenia might give you some good info. Perhaps especially on what NOT to use.

-Chris
    DOCKMASTER and bayoubud like this.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Here's what I got from Novurania. Not exactly the info I was hoping for but I am appreciative of their reply.

HULL AND TUBES
    Periodic cleaning is the only way to keep your boat looking new. Regular washing and waxing will prevent dirt and scum build up which will cause the finish to deteriorate. Regular waxing also helps prevent oxidation due to ultra-violet rays. When washing, use a mild detergent and warm water solution. DO NOT use abrasive cleaners, ammonia or chlorine as these can damage the tubes or gel coat. An automotive hand cleaner, with lanolin, may be used to remove oil grease stains from the tubes.

Thank you and best regards,
    Parts Dept.
    Novurania of America, Inc.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was this the generic answer to a generic question?
    Ask them again about aggressive cleaning including acetone.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My partner likes the Island Girl products for his AB rib. I'm not to impressed but if you need a product name, he is happy.
    DOCKMASTER likes this.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I've been using a product called Seapower Inflatable Boat Cleaner for about 20 years. It's the only cleaner I use. I had the same Nuvourania you have. You won't be disappointed with this cleaner.
    Should add you don't need water , it's a wax on , wax off type of cleaner.
    DOCKMASTER likes this.
  7. CWV

CWV Member

AI boats near St. Petersburg FL can retube it for you. Did good work for me.

I’ve tried all sorts of things, most successful was magic eraser (abrasive though), barkeepers friend, spray nine - - and not suggesting that’s the route you take. I tried a lot. Eventually re-tubed because I wanted to redo my nautica to match the boat we refit.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

i can buy a new boat for less that the cost to get it to St Petersburg :):)

I did look into retubing it a year or two ago. The OEM wanted nearly as much for new tube as a boat cost.
  9. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Ive use speed clean on my Williams jet boat...their products work great!
    DOCKMASTER likes this.
  10. PPD

PPD Member

I have a bright white Avon RIB with gray accents on the bright white tubes. Nothing keeps the white clean except keeping it covered the moment you buy it or re-tubing it. Looked beautiful for about a month or so, but that white finish deteriorates quickly. Love the boat, but it's depressing to try and keep up with the tubes. they just turn a little more gray every season.
  11. winesk

winesk New Member

I have used a CRC rib cleaner on my 14 ft Novurania. I am in Vncouver so it may be a Canadian product but it really works.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

13. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

Wes @ Dueck is the Novurania distributor for NW. He is in British Colombia. Good guy. I bought a new 550DL from him and rigged myself as I actually enjoy that stuff. I did a custom order and very much enjoyed the process. Wish I could swing it on a new Sporty but for now just the tender.

Attached Files:

14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is cool. Big smiles are great also.
  15. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

I was picking boat by the 3 point from Novurania and using math for line lengths they provided. Didn't think about with no engine math changed a bit. Set some downrigger balls in bilge and had my wife sit there while I fit boat to new trailer for first time. Thankfully she had her I phone with her as it took a bit. Hehe.
  16. GPO

GPO Member

Wes passed a while ago. Dueck Marine still the distributor. Saw them at the Vancouver Boat show a few days ago. I bought a new 550DL a few years ago and his crew rigged it to my specs. Glad I bought when I did. Prices has increased significantly!
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks. I’ll give them a ring to see what my options are.
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Sounds like an awesome tender. The 550 is way too big for me.