Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Furuno

Reverse Polarity

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by legacyman, Oct 14, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. legacyman

legacyman New Member

86 3607
    I am not sure what caused this reverse polarity problem but when I turned the stove on I heard a sizzle sound that seems like it came from the marine air systems box under the sink. Any thoughts?
    Reverse polarity light comes on when ever I turn on any breaker then goes dim and pulsing before going off.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Until you get this fixed, do not operate your boat, stove, air systems or have anybody swim around it.

120Vac from the dock consist of 3 wires, mostly black, white and green.
    The first cause of a reverse polarity alarm is ACv on the green wire. Usually, something has shorted and stray electrical current is on the fault (green) wire.
    This may also be delivering ACv to the bonding system and the water around your boat.
    The second cause of a reverse polarity alarm is ACv on the white wire and not on the black wire.
    Pretty bad also since none of your devices are breaker protected on the white wire.

You may just have a fried part in your stove or something more serious.
    If your not really qualified (life dependent), get a marine electrician onboard ASAP.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Ralph, I would think that as the "issue" seems to recur at each breaker on the AC side that the problem is going to be located between the main panel's incoming line voltage lugs and the dock. Could be an isolator has gone, or a boost transformer, etc, depending upon what is in that path between the pedestal and the main panel lugs...
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Never noticed a Carver with a transformer.
    I do remember that carvers came with plastic 30A shore connects that do melt quickly.
    Easy to check. Unplug it and look for burnt plastic.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Know nothing about Carvers, just considering that the issue seems to be common across the AC system, meaning the problem is located within anything between the main lugs of the panel and the dock pedestal.
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I agree with your assessment . Shore power inlets and plugs are the main culprits in these situations.
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Gotta amend by saying that the dockside power could also be suspect, but odds are it's between the two as I first stated. Ralph was right, however. Until it's resolved, shut it down.