Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Retrofit Generator size?

Discussion in 'Generators' started by SeaEric, May 31, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Should the only generator on a 50' motor yacht be expected to have the output capacity to run all of the Air Cond units, the stove, refrigeration and the hot water heater, etc. all at the same time? Or, would managing the load by running, say 2 of 3 Air units and the stove OR the hot water heater at once be a reasonable expectation?

On my own boat I mostly don't run ANY Air Cond on the Gen. I'm thinking that feeding an 8kw may not be necessary when it can be replaced by a 6kw that will run more economically and provide all the power that is needed 90% of the time.

I don't want to screw up the resale of the boat by installing what may be perceived as an "undersized" Genset.

Your thoughts?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And which person on your boat is into roasting? Of course you should be able to run the entire boat on your gen. How much could you possibly save in price or gph by buying an undersized gen, and exactly how would you explain that to a potential buyer?
    P.S. as for not running A.C.'s can you spell MOLD & MILDEW or carbon buildup shortening the life of the gen.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have to say I agree with NYCAP on this one.

The difference you are writing about 2kW hardly seems to make sense when you describe it as being the difference between running everything on 8 kW and only 2/3rd of the AC plus either the stove or the hot water heater on 6 kW.

The way it reads to me 1 AC Unit and either the stove or the hot water heater needs 2 kW.(2000 W) That sure seems economical on power. I say this because I have a kettle at home that needs 1500W according to the info on the base plate.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with the other posters. Stick with the origional generator size or even go with a 10kw. It sounds like an 8kw would be a little light to run 3 ac's, stove, water heater, and etc all at the same time. You are not going to save enough fuel between a 6kw and an 8kw to even notice ever. You should be running your a/c's as much as possible so they stay working properly and it keeps down the humidity and mold.