Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Replacing or not the fuel pre-filter units

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by rpontual, Apr 18, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rpontual

rpontual Member

I have a new boat that is powered by two VolvoPenta D6-370. The boat came with a pre-filter for each engine, the pre-filter is branded "Volvo" and it is identical to a "White Racor 500". The pre-filter has a Racor 10 micron filter in it and the filter that is built-in the engine is a 2 micron filter. I dislike the fact that the pre-filter is made of metal, I would like a transparent bowl to visually monitor the fuel and water (if any).

I contacted a Racor supplier to replace the metal part by a transparent bowl. The per unit cost of upgrading the filter to transparent bowl is approximately $50 less than purchasing a new unit that costs a bit more than $200.

I have seen comments on other threads here recommending other brands filters and also other Racor models. I verified that the fuel consumption of a D6-370 is well within the limits of the Racor 500, hence do not see any reason to install a bigger Racor model (right?).

Before going ahead with this purchase, I would appreciate any comments or recommendation you might have. Please forgive me if this new thread is a duplicative, I couldn't find another thread completely covering my case.

Thank you,
    Romulo
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There are worse case examples where different bowls and the cups under them offer a little more fire damage protection.
    It sounds at first you have the gasoline bowls that can not be transparent. Maybe other reasons for the metal bowls (near batteries?)
    I assume you had a surveyor for your purchase, consult him before changing any fire considered fuel devices.

Next, fuel consumption and fuel flow are different. Much more fuel goes thru your motor and returned to the tank than consumed.
    Get the correct spec for max fuel flow thru.
  3. 30West

30West Member

My brother is shopping for boats. His surveyor told him a boat they were looking at would need the transparent bowls replaced with metal, to pass Coast Guard regulations. Diesel. It would be nice to have transparent bowls with a metal guard, or a removable, solid metal guard so you could look at an inner transparent bowl without opening it.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Coast Guard passenger vessels absolutely need metal only Racor’s. It is a requirement to get a USCG certificate. Pleasure craft should use at least the Racor clear bowls with a metal drip guard below. Some boat builders get cheap and install the amber plastic bowl Racor’s that are an absolute no go. If you read the spec on them, they are not even UL marine listed, have no place on a boat but have been put on lots of boats because of ignorance and cost savings.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The best setup is the standard Racor with the removable element. They re the easiest to change, just pop the cover and swap.

Clear bowl with the metal guard is fine on a recreational boat
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are we talking spin on filters or drop in filters on the O P?
  7. rpontual

rpontual Member

I am trying to respond to all questions raised:
    1) The boat is new, I purchased without hiring a surveyor,
    2) The filters I am considering to change are Volvo parts. They were installed by the manufacturer. The filter is approved for marine use,
    3) The upgrade cost to clear bowl includes the metal guard.
    4) I am attaching two pictures showing the filters. They are held up on a board that hides the fuel tanks. One filter has a vacuum gauge, I installed it to figure out if I like it.

B02EA808-66F5-45F5-837B-63910ADA1240.jpeg
    DE8781FC-7F68-4472-BE2C-71F3C9C8EBB3.jpeg
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I like the on engine set-up as is. The metal canister makes sense being so close to the engine heat.
    What about a 20 micron MA500 closer to the fuel tank in an easy to see location for a first line defense of water contamination, etc. ?
  9. rpontual

rpontual Member

The two units you can see are mounted on a wooden board. Behind the board are the tanks. Each unit has a 10 micron filter. Despite being branded Volvo, they appear to be Racor 500 units.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Sorry, my bad, need to get the glasses checked!
    Swap em out like you proposed.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

An advantage of going to a larger racor (900/1000) would be a lot more surface media to clog up before having to change filter elements. If you want the see through bowl, go for it as long as it has the metal guard underneath. For $50 extra, I'd just buy the entire racor assembly and either save the Volvo's for spares or sell them.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is that a battery cable wrapped around the filter in the second pic?
  13. rpontual

rpontual Member

This is electrical tubing into a explosion proof breaker panel. The breaker panel is for the generator.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

To ensure the protection of you, your ship, your investment; I'd ask your insurance company for their lead local surveyor and have him advise.

The boat mfg may have just inventoried one style of filter. Volvo may of had a package for the boat mfg that included that filter.

Or, some code some where was satisfied with the metal bowls that the DIYr may not understand.

In the back of my mind, I remember reading (CFRs, ABYC) the concern with fuel filters, fittings and valves installed above or near batteries and switches.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Princess used metal bodied racor to meet CE certification since they're a European builder.

ABYC requires just the clear bowl with the metal heat ring under it.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Romulo
    We all are trying to offer our best advise. Many here have many years of experience working on boats. What has been observed and learned thru the years is a great deal of info.

It is still up to the owner to best protect his investment and himself. That electrical cable and box, even though enclosed, still has me concerned.
    My advice is to get a surveyor that can quote the rules for your boat and intended use, that would hold up as best attempt to satisfy any claim.
    It may be nothing, it may be something. For liability reasons I'm not going to tell you it's o k.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I had the same reaction about the cable and the breaker box so close to the filter. Probably ok by looks sloppy

Typically I like a 30 microns racor and then the manufacturer supplied 2 microns secondary. I also like the racors to be on the bigger side, like capt J suggested as you get more surface.

What HP are those engines. I put bigger racors on the 430HP Cummins I m repowering my boat with

The best setup for a boat that cruise more extensively is to use a dual racor setup so you can swap on the fly and replace the element when convenient. But on a new boat, with new tanks that does mostly week end trips it s probably an overkill
  18. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Actually that box doesn't look like an explosion proof box it looks like plastic and the fittings are definitely not explosion proof.
    Just sayin.
  19. rpontual

rpontual Member

I appreciate all your comments. If European boat certification requires the metal bowls, this could be the reason given that the boat was built in Europe.

I see the comments on the electrical panel, despite looking strange this is how the factory built (I bought the boat new). Perhaps another way to look at this is being reminded that sparks are not allowed in the engine room due to vapors. The location should matter less than having a zero spark risk (explosion proof installation).

I do not see a need to hire a surveyor to verify the boat design. This boat has been certified in Europe and in US as is. But if based on your views, the clear bowl is not a good choice, I will end up adding a water sensor to the pre-filters.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think the better term for that box is ignition proof. No such thing but ignition resistant would be a better wording.
    If the bowl will accept a WIF (water in fuel) sensor, At least go there.

We have always preached a surveyor on yacht purchases, even new deliverys.

We luv clear bowls. When the environment can accept them safely.

CYA

,Ralph