Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Replacing Bertram 28 fuel tank

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Sunshine326, Nov 16, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sunshine326

Sunshine326 Guest

I have a 1973 Bertram 28 Sport Fisherman. She has a 165 gallon tank that we are needing to replace. First the issue is getting the correct dimensions. But also we thought about possibly removing the top of the tank and having a new tank built to place inside and use the old tank as a cradle. Looking to get opinions on this idea. Is it even legal? Does anyone know how to get the correct dimensions? Any ideas and/or opinions are greatly appreciated.
  2. m2m

m2m Senior Member

I have done exactly what you are describing on several boats, works like a charm and sometimes keeps the structual integrity of the boat intact. The only drawback is the loss of some of your capacity
  3. Sunshine326

Sunshine326 Guest

Thank you for the info... do you have anyone you would recommend to manufacture the tank and also maybe someone who would install? I found someone in Williston to do the tank and then another guy in Crystal River that may be able to install it. It's always nice to get a couple of estimates though.
  4. m2m

m2m Senior Member

i would stay away from aluminum or stainless steel In my experience a poly tank is the way to go. Moellor has a website for these tanks which are roto-molded. (I do not work for Moellor)
  5. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

Turtle pac flexi tanks are the way to go, I dont work for them but have used them.