Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Removing wallpaper ?

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by jhartog, Nov 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jhartog

jhartog New Member

my '96 viking needs new wallpaper. The existing wallpaper is showing its age. It is textured so simply pasting new wallpaper over it is not a suitable fix. Does anyone know if there is a special process for removing old wall paper ? (My yard does not have anyone to do this. If anyone knows someone for eastern long island, I would appreciate a recommendation.) TIA.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unless you do this PITA job yourself, you'll want to contact a painter or paper hanger not a yard. This is a household job not a boat job. For DIY start with a "paper tiger" to score the old paper then spray on glue disolver or steam it, then scrape.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Most wallpaper in yachts is a fabric backed vinyl, glued to (hopefully) primed plywood. Get a corner loose and it should pull right off. The remaining glue residue may need to be sanded smooth prior to the new install. Traditional steamers, etc should not be necessary.

Hire a good, well experienced paper hanger for the re-install. Traditionally, most residential/commercial guys don't want a yacht install because it's a lot of work. In the current economy, I bet you will find a willing installer! Forget "by the roll" install fees. They do not apply in this instance.

A good installer may want to do the existing removal as well.
  5. jhartog

jhartog New Member

the PITA factor seems to be the biggest hurdle. Thanks for the input guys.