Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Removal of support post

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jnicholas, Apr 29, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

I cannot reach the further aft pencil zincs on my Volvo engines due to very narrow gap between this support post and the outer hull and equipment on the starboard engine.

now I may not be the best shaped captain but I can’t be the worst either, but there is no way to wedge past this fitting.

any objection to removing it and replacing right after general maintenance?

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Your dilemma reminds me of the time I got stuck on the outboard side of a motor on a 46 Sea Ray Dancer. lol. Actually this doesn't look too difficult to get around either by extending your tools with a piece of pipe or by simply removing the post or bringing in a child or small woman. Or you can hire a mechanic and make it his problem.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I would...... Count the turns. Weld up a fitting larger piece on the bottom the post can sit in for future easy removal. If you see movement.... STOP. That said, my advice is worth what you paid for it.
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I had my vertical supports removed during a transmission replacement. If you want to be extra cautious cut some pieces of plywood and get a bottle jack and use the jack and the plywood (to spread the load where the jack meets the hull and the salon floor) and then remove your pole for access. See if you could slide your existing support forward or backward so you don’t have to sweat this in the future.
  5. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

My oldest grandson is four, not quite Ready for this assignment. My wife runs the the foredeck very well but I’m not fast enough to suggest she’s our new mechanic! Maybe if I was honest and show her what the Volvo tech wants just for a trip charge to complete a couple of small projects she might be more interested.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Four is old enough to turn a wrench.:rolleyes: Although Plan B would work for my admiral for some it could open a Pandora's box that might lead to new cars, remodeling of your house and no boat.:mad:
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I've removed mine several times to do servicing without any negative consequence
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Check with the boat builder for the purpose of the post. Had a Hatteras that I wanted to remove the two similar metal support posts between the engines for better access. Called Hatteras for advice, their engineer told me they were adjustable to change the resonance for sound and vibration in the salon. They were not structural, "who da thought it." Might be able to move them enough to not hinder access.
  9. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Had a Cat mechanic temporarily remove one on my former 460 DA when he was servicing the after cooler on the 3208's. Put it back when complete. No issue.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You can temporarily remove them in your Navigator engine room with no problem, get a 2” x 4” cut to length and put it downstream as a temporary support if you are concerned.

Like those 74P’s!