Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

removal of Stainless Steel Cutwater

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tball, Feb 11, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tball

tball New Member

We have to remove a Stainless Steel Cutwater from the bow of a aluminum yacht. I am worrried that once we remove the cut water that we will also pull off the paint and fairing that is around the cutwater. The cutwater is thru bolted to the hull and also adhered to the hull with 5200. Any suggestions or tips.:eek:
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, I donĀ“t know exactly without seeing it, but cut with a carpet knive and heat the piece to soften the glue could be a solution. Hair drier or paint remover as heater.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

tball,
    The 5200 is very tough to get thru or take apart. Cut/score with a sharp knife like AMG suggested but you may have to "saw" through it also. I've heard of folks who have used piano wire or the like to saw thru the 5200. Not sure what angle or access you may have to do that. Scoring should help prevent pulling off the paint.
  4. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

3M Does make a solvent for 5200 not seen very often but it does work even if a little slow
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

What does Debond due to the paint finish? Any discoloring or blistering?
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I would certainly mask the work area well to prevent surprises. Beyond that, I'd say read all of the fine print on the product.
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Debond won't hurt the paint. But my 2 cents is that you're probably going to have to do some paint work on that area anyway. You'll likely find that the stainless, aluminum, and salt water aren't very good friends.