Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

Recommendations for stainless yacht signs

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Apr 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Any recommendations on where to go to for stainless lettering. Might consider lighted but probably not. Prices I got at the palm beach show were $1200 s letter. Wow!

I guess I could think of a really short name! LOL.
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Track down a company in your area that has a water jet cutting service. Look in the indystrial world. They can cut some nice polished Stainless steel for you.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Good suggestion by MBevins. When I think about the prices charged in the Yacht Sign business, it reminds me of a word describing a service to solve a problem that wouldn't otherwise exist without the enterprise offering the service. What a racket!
  4. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I agree. Even in our neck of the woods, anything attached to boating the costs goes outa sight. Priced an aluminum hardtop for our vessel from a well know US supplier. 17000.00 plus tax. A local fabricator in my area after looking at the cad drawing felt he could provide a superior product at about a third of the price with extras like leds. A couple of weeks ago I dropped by to get a couple of stainless kick plates. Got 2 good size mirror plates for 10.00.
    Out of their scrap bin.. and they sheared to size.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Member

For what it's worth, we had a terrific experience last year with Lighthouse Signs in Westbrook, CT who ordered and installed our letters and I found their pricing to be very fair. They do signs of all kinds and refreshingly don't gouge the boaters that use them which I suspect is why they are the go-to operation for the major boat yard they are near. They outsourced our brushed stainless steel letters and while I don't know the exact numbers off-hand, I do recall that our 10", 3/8" thick letters were only a few hundred dollars a piece. It's a family run business and if they can't help you directly I would suspect they could point you in the right direction.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

They outsourced to a water jet cutting facility, actually if you're saying a few hundred per letter that's a pretty good markup on his end.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I can think of many things worth spending money on before SS letters :). Sea bobs, electric foil boards and other toys ...

Vinyl is cheap and good enough on the stern.

On the sides, i once used metallic silver vinyl applied on black lexan which I cut to follow the name outline. Came out pretty good...
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Jeremy at Cutting Edge Engraving in Fort Lauderdale.
  9. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Advanced Waterjet is near Lester's. They also can do the design in CAD for you. PM me if you need a contact there.
  10. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We definitely were going to skip on the Led. Good point on increasing toy budget.