Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Recommendation on pocket camera

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by John Sakovits, Dec 16, 2018.

1. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

looking for a recommendation for a good camera that you could fit in a jacket pocket. Should have some level of zoom and have high resolution digital output.

Thanks for the feedback!
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Olympus TG-5, which is also waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, dustproof, and freezeproof . Has an f2.0 lens, 4x zoom, macro shooting, 4k video, GPS, compass, etc. Plus, Olympus has a good history of making really nice point-and-shoot cameras.

If I was looking to replace my SLR with something compact, it would be my go-to any day.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  3. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Honestly your smartphone is just as good of an option unless you go SLR or mirrorless. You can always buy lenses to tack onto it for a zoom feature.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

5. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Smartphone for the Pocket, Mirrorless for travel/Prosumer work. I've been very happy with my Olympus Pen-F as a travel camera. The TG-5 mentioned above constantly makes cut for Rough and tumble camera/Waterproof/Tough as nails.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our boy had this bomb proof lil camera in the islands a few years ago. Countless pictures and videos while snorkeling and great dry shots.
    Threw it into the dive bag wet and hours later would pull it out for uploads. Rinsed sometimes.
    It's still working great today.
    Never witnessed such abuse in salt water for any equipment including my dive gear.

It was an Olympus Tough TG-3.
    They are really good cameras. This one blew me away.
    Here is the old lead from 2014.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459692,00.asp

In re-reading the thread, Kevin mentions the TG-5.
    That is the one you want.
    Kevin likes this.