Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross

Rebuild Mercruiser V8 7.4L or Repower?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by VidaAqua, Apr 1, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

I am considering purchasing a 93 Formula PC 34 with Mercruisers V8 7.4L engines that were submerged in salt water.

Your thoughts on rebuild vs repower? Any recommendations for engine rebuilders in the Tampa Bay Area?
  2. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Depends on how many hours they were under water and how fast they were taken apart. If it's days and not hours sell them for scrap and buy new. Yes it will costs more on the front end but less over time.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The Merc re-man long block engines coming through at the moment look like brand new engines, as they've moved to the 8.1 block these days. A Merc re-man will be your cheapest and safest bet.

IMHO.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

REPLACE. Reman'ed mercruisers would be fine. I agree also.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A whole Merc, Crusader, Volvo, Marine Power,,,,,.
    New starter, alternator, Carb or EFI equipment, manifolds, wiring harness, coupler, fuel pump,,,,,,
    I hope you get the idea.

I don't think the original 7.4 (454 cid) is available as an whole new package anymore. Pretty sure there are still some 8.2s (502 cid) still on the shelves.
    The new 8.1 are a whole new breed of motor. I have no hands on so I'm just not sure if it has the same foot print.

I have learned years ago, when you pick up an old gas boat, plan on new engines before you bring her home. If you get lucky and find a gas boat that really does run well, it is a good day.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aint that the truth! Every single gas boat I've managed/maintained over the years has always been a problem child, with the exception of only a handful of them......if they're not overheating....they won't make power........they're missing.....if they're not missing...they won't run at all.......
  7. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

Thank you all for the feedback.

Anyone have a recommendation for reputable, fairly priced, hiqh quality marine service company that can sell/install the new engines and work on all the other things that will be required for the engine area to be back to full operating condition?

Tampa Bay Area in Florida