Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Walker

Raw water Strainers

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by aircar, Jun 3, 2013.

1. aircar

aircar New Member

This goes under the category of no good deed goes unpunished. Decided to clean the raw water strainer baskets for my A/C this afternoon. Standing in the rain I washed one of the baskets into the water. My question is how do you determine the size of the basket.I cannot read the model number on the Groco. I am on a Hatteras 61 MY, two AC pumps.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They're stainless steel. Why not go magnet fishing? (I always keep one of those 200 lb magnets on a cord on hand for just such occasions) Otherwise, measure the mouth of the opening. That'll be the diameter of the basket. The depth is probably about 2" less than the depth of the sea strainer depending on the handle.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the other sea strainer for the a/c is the same size, take the basket out of that, try it in the empty sea strainer, then take it to the store and match it up......or just measure the size of the inlet/outlets on the strainer.....probably either a 3/4" or 1" strainer for a/c's
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It must be a pretty shoddy stainless steel if it can be recovered by a magnet swinging around in the sea.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You should be able to measure the depth of the basket and the diameter in the strainer. This with the inlet size should let you find the right basket and an decent store
  6. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

There will be a model number on the bronze casting lid of the strainer frame which is typically a Groco. Google the model number to buy a new basket. I recently bought a replacement for my AC strainer on my 40 year old Matthews.:D