Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger

Rafters Drift in to Canada

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Rodger, Aug 22, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I've been waiting for something bad to happen on that float-down every year. My Dad hates it, as he runs a tour boat on the St. Clair River.
    Last I heard there were people missing.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's about as dumb as the New River raft race. BUT, what's the harm in it, let them have fun, guess a few got blown away.....but things happen, or perhaps they're purposefully defecting. There are some places where just about anyone can swim from the US shore to the Canadian shore......
  3. Ken Bracewell

Probably not. There was a huge SW wind forecast, and people have been warning them about it all week. Heck, I'm in Fiji and knew about it from Facebook.
    I used to do that regularly.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I expect there may have been some deaths though. That many people would be a miracle if there were not.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

At first I thought " inflatables " like a zodiac but these are bath toys !!!
  6. Ken Bracewell

The City of Sarnia issued a statement saying that the actual costs involved after cleanup, extra police, and bussing the floaters back to Port Huron, was roughly $8800. The Float group has started a GoFundMe page to help reimburse the city.
    You have to love the midwest.