Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Question on galley updates

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Kevin Lippe, Jul 1, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin Lippe

Kevin Lippe New Member

I own an older post and am updating the galley . What have people done with there 120v refrigerators . Gone ac/dc or run it on an inverter with a battery bank ?
  2. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I'm a big fan of 120 v refrigerators (cheap) and inverters. The last two boats have been set up this way and it works for my style of cruising. I size the battery bank to handle a 12 hour load so I only need to charge in the morning and PM so the rest of the day is peaceful. Also the alternators have been upgraded to 120 amps so at anything above idle, the batteries remain charged.
  3. Kevin Lippe

Kevin Lippe New Member

4. Kevin Lippe

Kevin Lippe New Member

what are
    You running for a battery bank ?
  5. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I run 4 flooded cell 6 volt golf cart batteries rated at 220 amp-hrs connected in one series parallel bank. Many battery experts will stay to separate the single bank into 2 series banks and a battery switch but the one bank works for me.
  6. Kevin Lippe

Kevin Lippe New Member

Good info !
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not familiar with your boat but if you can fit a 120v fridge/freezer you ll have many more options in sizes. As back up to generator, adding an inverter will work well and While Setting up the inverter to only power the fridge is very easy it can also be setup to provide power for other things as well if needed.

In addition to the regular appliance sources, i ve bought some from compactappliances.com Good products and services
  8. Kevin Lippe

Kevin Lippe New Member

I have a 120v fridge and put a 2000w inverter in with an 8D battery . It only lasts a few hours though . I never thought of using golf cart battery , I’ll do some research .
  9. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Make sure you get deep cycle batteries, a starting battery does not work for more than a short time in this application. From my experience you will need about twice the rated amp-hrs that you calculate.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

An 8D battery has about 200AH... 4 golf cart batteries will get you twice that and a lot easier on your back to install :)
  11. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

I run the same as Capt. Fred but I used street cleaner 6V batteries with a squeeze ball auto water system. They give me 440AH but are very hard on the back. I run a Xantrex 3K inverter and charger combo. I get 8-10 hours of power before the auto start gen set kicks in to recharge the house bank. I even run the small forward cabin AC unit with a soft start box on it. Don't ever have to run the genset when running the engines unless you need AC (air conditioning). The alternators keep the house bank topped off. I would be interested in knowing what other people are running for inverters and chargers.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member