Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Cross

Question for you Yacht watchers...

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by NEO56, May 6, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

My business partner was down in Ft. Lauderdale awhile back (went down for a Bowl game) Anyway he was staying across the ICW from Pier 66 and told me Steven Spielbergs's Yacht was parked there. I found a you tube video from the Ft. Lauderdale cam of his boat leaving the dock heading south to the inlet. My question is as the bow turns toward the camera, on either side of the bow and not too far below the cap rail on the main deck are two platforms that fold out of the hull. They can't be wing stations....maybe some type of look out platform for washing off the chain rode when they pull up anchor? In this video they are not maned but are deployed! Somebody has got to know what those **** things are for! I haven't lost sleep over it...but it keeps nagging at me....how about lending a newbie here an answer I can live with? :cool:

Here, I'll make it easy for you all....here's the link for the video.

Steven Spielberg's Yacht SEVEN SEAS departing Fort Lauderdale on 3-28-12 - YouTube
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

They probably call them Mooring Stations, as this boat has a helipad on top and the anchor and line handling on a deck below. So to be able to control what you are doing, the platforms makes it a lot easier than hanging out of an opening.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

We call them Mooring Deck Doors on a project I am doing.

They are so the crew can see clearly and safely what is going on with the Anchors, they provide a safe stable platform to enable a chain hook to be deployed to free a tangled anchor and for the anchor to be seen to be in the right aspect before it gets jammed in the hawse pipe and or digs divots out of the topsides.