Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Perko

Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by sportfisholic, Jun 16, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sportfisholic

sportfisholic New Member

Hey guys,
    I ve always been lurking around reading the forums, but today I am ready to make a purchase and need some advice please. I am looking at two boats both are vikings.
    1: 2003 65ft with mtu 16v2000 engines.
    2: 2002 61ft with man 1300 engines.

Both are priced the same, only difference between the two is that the 61 has a mezzanine. Both have under 1500hrs on the engines. What would you guys recommend? getting the bigger boat? If so how are the mtu's compared to the man's? My first choice engines are the cats but couldnt find any equipped within my budget. Any advice and opinion would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My advice is always that if you're looking at two boats and one is larger, go for the bigger one because you probably want to move up soon and it'll save you doing 2 deals. However, you also mentioned budget restraints. The 65 will certainly be more expensive to run and maintain.
  3. sportfisholic

sportfisholic New Member

Thanks for the great advice :)
    My budget has been set for purchasing a boat, but not for maintaining. I would love to get the bigger boat, but would like to know are the mtus better or the mans. Also which is the better running vessel the 61 or the 65? Thanks
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is really a tough one. I would wait until you find a CAT boat if that is your preference and it definately would be mine in a SF especially if you're doing a lot of trolling. The MTU's 16v2000 would be my definate choice over non common-rail MAN 1300's. The mechanical man's smoke and smell at trolling speeds something fierce, as well as vibrate a lot as they run off 1 bank of the engine under 1000-1200 rpms and most people cannot endure a day of trolling with them. The worst offenders seemed to be the 1050hp MAN's, but the 800/820's and 1300/1350's also would stink up the cockpit pretty good. The 16v2000's do run clean at trolling speeds and don't stink and smell like the MAN's. The accessories on the MTU's don't last as long......starters, water pumps, etc etc.......The pro's and con's

65' Viking is a bigger boat than the 61', however it also has a much bigger draft at 6' which can be very limiting in many places in the Bahamas/Carribbean that you'd want to go with a SF. The 65' rides a little better at cruise speeds in a head sea, however it's trade off is a little more rock on the troll and slower cruise speed. Cruise with CAT's was around 30 knots If I remember correctly.

61' Viking is a great boat unless you're in a head sea. It's an ok head sea boat but nothing great. You're going to start slowing down in 3-5's. Also it's a faster hull than the 65' and I ran one with C32's 1650hp that cruised at 34 knots at 80% load. It is very stable trolling though and also at speed in a beam sea or stern sea. The last one I ran had the optional bow 200 gallon fuel tank (3rd tank), it rode much better in a head sea when you dumped this tank into the main tank as quick as possible.

So again it depends on what you're doing and how you're using the boat.
  5. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

I would say that if you've found these two, and you cant find any other ones with CATS, then i would definitely go with the one with MTU's, they are a far superior engine in a S/F, application, and like Capt. J said, if you get down to the S. Florida / Bahamas region, and you would need some work and or parts, then you can utilize the S. Florida center.

On the other hand, if you could find a 61' with C32's in it, I would go for that one. I Captained a 61' with C32's in a few tournaments on the East Coast, and it was a great boat, and efficient for the size and power. In fact, I know of a 61' that was around for sale for a while it was the former "Heavy Iron" out of Hilton Head, SC. I don't know what your budget it, but she was fully equipped with tower, and all the goodies, and maintained well with a full-time crew.