Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

Public Docks Along Long Island Sound

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by wotan98, Aug 18, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wotan98

wotan98 New Member

Are there any public docks, other than the one in Northport, along the NY or CT shorelines of Long Island Sound?
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

What's your objective here? Lots of very good marinas, piers, moorings.
  3. wotan98

wotan98 New Member

I like Northport's simplicity as a lunch stop . . . easy tie up, free, no reservations needed, come whenever.
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Sure, I get that. But many marinas have a spot for day trippers, very small fee. Everyone has moorings, most with launches.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I know of some docks run by towns, but most if not all charge a fee for the benefit of tying up. Yacht Clubs will allow you to tie up short term as a visiting transient with little to no fee if you've got membership reciprocity in hand.
  6. wotan98

wotan98 New Member

I've used marinas many times. I'm asking a different question.
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Maybe I'm just not getting the question. Even a municipal dock isn't available if another boat or three beat you to it. Anyway, lots of clubs will extend the same courtesy if you have a reciprocal membership. That opens you up to many, many similar options. But all of them first come first served.
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Having boated on the north shore all my life (I'm 70) public access is at a minimum along this shoreline, unfortunately by choice. Marinas and mooring are the usual means of access to the shore.

In Ct there are many more public access points - Norwalk comes to mind. But even there its marinas or moorings.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Best path to what it is that I believe he's seeking is Yacht Clubs. I joined to obtain the access, courtesy, variety. Recently in and out of Watch Hill...to the town dock...but it was a paying experience. Everyone is getting a fee for the privilege of their being there for you...
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Reciprocity is not universal, while marinas and moorings are, but clubs are an additional source. Proximity to a town or village in IMO is a determining factor. I can sit on the boat at my own slip?

Very few municipal docks are free in my experience, but generally their costs are nominal.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Reciprocity is substantial in that market. Very few exceptions. In fact I've had very few clubs even verify my membership as they simply charge you on the spot for the benefit you're seeking, be it a mooring, a lunch tie, fuel, whatever. I've made extensive use of both coasts with no trouble.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Then please make it clear now as to what your real question is. Are you looking for free docks?
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Didn't this answer the OP? If he wants a list he'll have to get a copy of Waterways...or wait for anecdotal responses. From East Hampton for lunch - fast boat!
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Perhaps that's the question behind the question. Can't really tell as I thought I had answered that early in the thread. Yes, there are docks owned by municipalities, and they charge fees. Best access to "free day dockage" is reciprocity. Otherwise, I don't know what the question is....
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I have no idea because I don't know what his question is. He told us it is a "different question."
  16. wotan98

wotan98 New Member

The “different” question is the only one i asked. I appreciate your efforts to steer me towards marinas with transient slips, and reciprocal rights among yacht clubs, etc. but that’s not what I was asking about.

Northport has a long municipal dock. It holds lots of boats. It’s at the foot of Main Street. It’s effortless to just run there on the spur of the moment, tie up, walk through town, have lunch, go home.

I simply asked if anyone was aware of similar setups elsewhere along either shore of Long Island Sound. It’s fine if the answer is no.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are others along the eastern shore. I just don't remember where they are as I've passed them but stayed at a marina for the night.

A lot of times you get there and the dock is full and then what? If you're only tieing up for a few hours, most marinas in other towns will let you if you simply tip them if you just call them ahead of time...…..

check here in the waterway guide and zoom in by cities that interest you. It lists them but mixed in with free anchorages. You can zoom in, in an area and on the left tells you what each number is:
    https://www.waterwayguide.com/explo...tude=-72.2515869140625&zoom=10&mode=anchorage
  18. wotan98

wotan98 New Member

Thanks Capt. J.
    I’d already done this with the Embassy Cruising Guide and come up pretty empty.
    I’ll try Waterway next.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I saw a few on the link I posted.
  20. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

Northport, NY is a unicorn. It’s an amazing resource, but very unique. The only thing that comes close is Milford Landing in CT. They charge, but it’s minimal for day dockage and you get discounts at local restaurants that can offset some or all of the dockage fee. Norwalk May have free or low cost dockage at their launch ramp, but I’ve never tried it.

Other than that you are limited to dock and dine arrangements.