Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Mulder

PT boat for sale

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by eagle45, Mar 21, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. eagle45

eagle45 New Member

Did anyone know that there is a real ww2 PT boat for sale complete with all guns and torpedos non working of course
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Why would you want one with "non-working" guns and torpedoes? Seems like that would take much of the fun out of owning one.
  3. JustMag

JustMag Member

A link would be nice..........price?? Location??
  4. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

If I remember right, it was mentioned around here before, 70' beaten aluminum hull, with trailer, $1.5mil if you are so interested! Eather in NY or MA inland i think.
  5. lynnc

lynnc New Member

Jac Yachts has it listed
  6. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

7. Mark I

Mark I Member

Unfortunately the urge to use them often would be uncontrollable.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

9. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Unfortunately, the article is from 2007, and the state of the art hasn't advanced a whole lot since then. Most of the stuff out there today (that could be used tactically) is still at the science-fair level (assuming you don't buy into the marketeer's hype).

The subsurface and airborne unmanned systems have come into their own, but unmanned surface systems mostly still require someone in a boat tracking them, and also usually broadcast a NUC AIS status to try and keep folks away (and to honestly indicate they're not manned).

The most interesting development is the Wave Glider (Liquid Robotics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and they just took in $45M in venture funding. Recently one crossed the Pacific autonomously gathering bathymetry data, pretty impressive. But they're slow and don't carry anything that goes bang!;)
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I just grabbed that link off google as a bit of humour.

I am well aware that there are other more advanced units out there. I was in somewhere recently where they are building hulls for a 20 m one that will be able to be used to shell shore installations or attack ships all from the comfort of a control console miles away.

The concept of un manned ships is well known, there are some container lines who would like to run ships with little or no crew, they can currently run them unmanned but must have enough crew to take over if there is a problem,the main issues come from Flag states with no one wanting to accept responsibility for one of these behemoths going wrong.
  11. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Gotcha on the humor aspect... its been a long week for me so I'm tending to be slow on the uptake in recognizing humor...:rolleyes:

Earlier this week I did have a discussion with an associate that was swallowing the USV capabilities pitch hook, line, and sinker. I think the overselling of what is actually allowed does more damage than good.

That's the issue! A heavy jet could pretty much be flown halfway around the world autonomously (indeed they spend 99% of their time on autopilot), but they still put the pilots in there. I can see specialized cases where unmanned vessels make sense, but humans should still be there most of the time, both for yachts and for military stuff...

Have a great weekend!
  12. JWY

JWY Senior Member

13. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Awesome... Thanks for posting that, I wasn't aware of it!