Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Delta

Prop question: Can you tell me what I have?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Otops, Oct 5, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Otops

Otops Guest

I was curious to know if anybody could tell me how to decipher the information on these propellers my father-in-law picked-up yesterday? Any and all help would be appreciated!

I can't seem to find anywhere online that explains what each number/measurement means. Could somebody break it down for me?

Thank you ahead of time!

Attached Files:

2. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

33.4" diameter 43.3" pitch are the important numbers. Couldn't make out the prop shop label but looks like Bay Propeller, might try giving them a shout, that 48751 stamp is a prop shop ID and the six digit numbers are serial numbers. Look like a set of Michigan Dyna Quads but could also be Teinbridges.
  3. Otops

Otops Guest

WoW! Thank you Bill! The only thing I knew for sure was the 33.4" diameter. I had a feeling the 43.3" was the pitch from online research. The shop is located in Stuart, FL called Blair Propeller & Marine Service. The main thing I am trying to learn is the metal (not to melt down, so you know). I have seen bronze mostly but, last night, I saw nibral. I have learned that nibral is better than bronze in that they are stronger and flex less. Is this true?

I should be able to figure out if they are Michigans or Teignbridges, right?

Lastly, overall, from what you can tell and know do you think these are good propellers?

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
  4. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

They're almost certainly NiBrAl. Michigan has changed their casting a lot of late and they don't look like the current version of the DQ's, Teinbridge is still a possibility but the blade shape and lack of apparent cupping could also indicate Veem but I've never seen that recessed hub configuration from them. Worth a call to Blair!
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Nibral is better than Bronze and do flex less and are stronger.

The hub is stamped Dyn BAL- for dynamically balanced
    The LP number is probably for Lauderdale Propellor shop and their serial number. A call to them would probably get you any other info you need.

They look like Michigans to me, but not sure.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm guessing you want to know more so to market them?
    Don't forget your new friends could use a cut also.
  7. Otops

Otops Guest

I'm not going to lie. My father-in-law wants to use them as decorative pieces in his train room. I, on the other hand, think they might be worth more than he thinks. They have been conditioned and balanced for immediate use. Am I wrong in thinking they aren't worth something?

As of right now, he has no interest in selling them.

Having said all of that, I have been intrigued by all the yacht conversation(s) I have been involved in over the past four days. I have been invited onto my father-in-law's friend's 136-footer in six days. I am really, really looking forward to it! (This is the guy that gave him the propellers. They were meant to go on his 70-footer but he sold it and never put them to use.)
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, they are worth money if you wished to sell them.
  9. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

What's the easiest way to sell extra props? Is there a dominant whole seller? Web merchant?
  10. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Props in that size range are pretty specialized and usually custom dialed-in for each boat but there are likely a few boats they would be a perfect fit on, also would be close enough for emergency spares on many more if the hub bore and taper fit. The last couple sets I ordered somewhat close to them (34.5"x57.5") had 12 week lead times, for someone stuck in the islands with a coral head modified wheel, they would be priceless!
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Is that the 'technical' term?
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And what is wrong with him using them like that if he wants to?
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly
  14. Otops

Otops Guest

Nothing is wrong with him wanting to use them as decorations. I don't really care if he keeps them or sells them. I just wanted to find out what they might be worth so I could make one last effort to talk him into selling them rather than mounting them on his wall and ceiling. (They are too heavy for where he wants them, my opinion of course.) Also, I don't want to have to help him.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would say they're worth a few thousand dollars
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ok.

What?

So you really do care.
  17. RER

RER Senior Member

LOL ...same reaction I had.
  18. Otops

Otops Guest

I care for everybody's well-being that will be walking in and out of his train room. That is all. You guys don't understand. He wants me to help him mount one of them on a wall and then suspend the other from the ceiling.

If they were to be sold I wouldn't have to worry about engineering suspension systems. Those freaking things are super heavy. I moved both of them and I don't even know where to begin.
  19. Otops

Otops Guest

UPDATE: We went ahead and installed one of them but he decided that he didn't like the way it looked. I didn't like the way it was suspended. (I have no idea how much they each weigh but MAN! They are super heavy!)
  20. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I have a flat thingy in my bathroom that would help you. It is the only way I can go from zero to 240 in less than a second....