Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Prop Maintenance

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by hopper5, Dec 18, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hopper5

hopper5 Member

With my Carver 440 in dry dock for the winter I thought it might be a good idea to have the props looked at and "cleaned up". I have a very minor vibration and despite the fact the props look fine to the naked eye I was informed that they could be a bit out of "tune". Any thoughts as to whether it is worth the effort to pull them and send them to a prop shop to deal with ?? How much might I expect to pay for a prop tune up ?? Thanks.......
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Take a small metal car antannae or something similar, hold it against the strut and to the tip of the blade, slowly spin the prop and see if the blades are all the same distance from the strut. Same with the distance from the tip to the hull. It's easier if one person holds the rod and the other spins the prop by hand. This is done out of the water, of course.......If they look very close, you might not gain anything......however it's good to do every 5 years or so. Call the most recommended prop shop in your area.....size is the price determination.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Dennismc just recommended a place up your way on a different thread:
    "If were in BC , Osborne Propellers in Vanc. are the experts."
  4. Delfin

Delfin Member

Worth it. I would recommend Kruger and Sons - http://www.krugerpropeller.com/. The cost is a function of the size. I paid around $900 for a 44" with anti sing edges, but they can give you an exact price based on the number of blades and size. Made a big difference in smoothness throughout the rpm range I use.