Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Prop and Shaft Tune and Balance

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by lacabina, Dec 22, 2009.

1. lacabina

lacabina Member

Does anyone have an idea what is the costs for a prop and shaft tune up? There is no damage. I will be hauling the 37 Riviera soon, shaft packings boots need replacement. Building a list of other things to do while out of the water. Zincs of course, possible bottom paint too. I have never had the props or shafts tuned but I have no idea the usual cost of such work.
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Well, there is no such thing as a "tune up" for a prop and shaft with no damage, so if you send off a good set of props and shafts to the shop for inspection, it'll probably cost a couple hundred for them to do a dye pen check on the shafts and measure out them and the props, and then however much to repair/adjust any anomalies they find. If you're pulling the running gear, you should probably also check your cutless bearing clearances to see if they need replacing.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The correct term is "reconditioning". If your prop is more than a couple of years old it's a good idea to remove any small dings or adjust balance,etc. You can find lots of info on this with a Google search.
    "Propeller Reconditioning
    Reconditioning defined: A reconditioned Propeller is restored to the original pitch, track and balance within factory specification. Diameter rebuilding is NOT a part of the reconditioning process, but can be requested. Charges for diameter rebuilding are based on application."
    The cost of shipping the shaft may not be worth what you'll get out of it unless this shaft is very old or there is some indication of problems. Definitely check the cutlass bearing and the condition of the struts. You may also want to look at the rudders, rudder posts and steering asembly while you're at it.