Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Problems with 2) 50ams -> 100amp

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Sep 10, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

OK, we pulled into Ft Lauderdale on Friday and no 100amp. So we go and rent a 100Amp Smart Y connecter and plug the male ends into two 50Amp pedestals.

We are tipping breakers left and right.. We've gone through the boat and cut off as much as we could and its holding.... but I don't want to pay $5K a month dockage for crap power. Id like to get the dockmaster to fix whatever is not working..

How do you measure if a pedestal is really giving you the right load? Do these Smart Y adapters convert without Amp loss?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Are you GFCI compliant?

Don't know what marina in Fort Lauderdale, but with most that have been upgraded and brought to current standards, the problems are far more frequently on the boat than with the marina. I'd suggest a marine electrician to thoroughly check your system.
  3. Danvilletim

The boat has been to 20 docks in last 12 months. 100amps is fine... So we are fairly confident its the dock. Just need to formulate my request to the dockmaster.
  4. olderboater

It might have no problems in docks that are not updated to GFCI. I don't know what docks it's been to. Perhaps it's been to 20 in Fort Lauderdale and well tested. Where did you rent your splitter?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Normally they work pretty well and should give you a full 100. We have a hubell box with two male 50s and a female 100. Box has three lights. Once both 50amp breakers are on, you will hear a click after 2 or 3 seconds. And all three lights will be on.

We use it quite a bit in the bahamas, in fact had to use it last night at Bay Street in nas.

Now at this time of the year we re always struglimg to carry a full load on either the 100 amp or th adapter. Often have to turn off one chiller so we can run dryers, watermakers etc
  6. Danvilletim

Ok. Problem solved. We have two outlets and one is 230 and one 208. Shorepower was plugged into wrong hole.
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

What do your voltage meters read when plugged in and no loads on? I assume you would normally read 120 or 240? not sure what voltage you have coming in. But anyway as you turn things on, your voltage reading should remain the same as your amp draw increases. If the voltage drops as you turn things on one by one , It's the dock/marina's issue. Could be the pedestals or undersize wiring to the pedestals from shore.
    I have the same problem at my marina, I can not run things all at once.
    Marina ran undersize wire approx. 275ft run to my dock to shore. You get 120volts/30amp at the pedestal when you check it with a meter and your power cords out. so the marine says "It's working". Oh well, they leave me alone and I get a good dockage rate, so I live with it.

You may want to get a slip closer to the main shore supply panel if you can. That will help.
  8. Danvilletim

Now I just need to buy a smart y. Anyone have a good used one!
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok....glad it's working.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Try Sailorman in Ft L...assume they are still there ?
  11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

eBay. 100amp smart y
    There's two listed.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The Smart Ys assumes you have two wire isolation transformers on board. Will not work without it already installed.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Let me get this straight. Marina charging $5k a month AND you still had to rent a Y adapter to plug into their dock??
    FM
    Not already have 100 amp 4 pin connect. Didn't offer their fingers or other body parts to test the outlet for you?
    What looser dock could this be?
    Oh Wait, You still on the left coast??
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

$5k a month is cheap in Fort Lauderdale for that size boat.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thought he was still shopping. What sized boat?
    And ,,, they should have the connects for big boats if they charge that much...
  16. Danvilletim

103' boat in Ft lauderdale. Bahia Mar is like 12k during high season. We are in a small mini marina near galleria mall. If we went up the river we could save $1500 but it would be no sleep aboard and having to deal with tides or tugs.

They are looking to put in a 100amp as of this evening.

Btw we bought a used one at sailor,an but it didn't work. Had to return it.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

When shopping for slips, City of Las Olas Marina was a lot more reasonable than Bahia Mar. So was Loggerhead Marina in Hollywood and was protected and right off of ICW, etc, (I had a 98' in the there) but they only have about 5 slips that can accommodate that size.
  18. Danvilletim

Las Olas was cheaper than baha but still over $2 per ft... $6500...
  19. olderboater

They don't normally have big boats there and it's a discount marina at that price. lol
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Geeeze. Spoiled to S Ga rates to long.
    Those numbers are insane.
    When I worked down there, I was further spoiled as the owners had all lined up. Never knew the number$.
    Big customers have me tie up at KBYC. Luv it in there. I was spoiled rotten and luved it.

I remember longer (longer) ago, PGA Gardens, Lake Worth and south Palm Beach.
    Then I did believe all were out of their minds on dock rent.
    Probably another reason we stage in Jax.
    For the extra day or two it takes to hit the islands north bank, we are far ahead in dockage and fuel.

Some of you dock (hangar) queens may want to consider S Ga (Jax) as a base camp.