Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

pro/con sail hull material

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by lucidog, Aug 29, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lucidog

lucidog New Member

I don't know yet...Central California Coast
    Hello,

I would like to know the pros/cons...dis/advantages or anything else one should know about sailboats aprox 60' constructed with a steel hull. I am going to look at one and I would like to know everything I can. I do not believe it is fully completed as far as the mast attachment if that may make a difference. Additionally, the sailboat would be used to travel long distances and should be capable of withstanding all potential situations that may arise as a result of world wide travels.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi,

A steel hull is never wrong. Some steel sailboats has a more squared shape that might look cheaper and may reduce the speed a little, but the strength is not depending on how fair the hull looks.

Fibreglass or aluminium boats are your other options, wood is a little too high maintenance on that type of use.

But long before selecting material or size of yacht, you need to know a lot more on long distance sailing I think. Read books and talk to people in the harbour who seems to have done it. You will have many different opinions depending who you are talking to, but it is a nice lifestyle if you can afford it!

Whatever you do, donĀ“t buy any boat without consulting an independent surveyor!