Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Privacy in the digital age...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by YachtForums, Dec 17, 2019.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Privacy has long been illusionary. Biggest single loss of privacy has probably been the three credit bureaus. Access a credit file and you know one's history and all their current financial information and the access isn't difficult to get. Do you all have your credit files locked from access? Even if you do, there are still the bureau employees. I'm not sure anyone here truly understands through the use of the credit bureaus how easy it is to steal identities.

Insurance companies also are sources of tremendous information.

It's a bit like when I recall people being so scared of using their credit cards online, yet they thought nothing of handing it to a below minimum wage employee in a restaurant and allowing them to disappear out of sight for an extended period of time. Meanwhile, restaurants were major sources of card theft.

We're in a world today where eventually others will get your information. You must put up a good defense that allows you to recognize misuse of it at the earliest possible moment. I don't know how many times I've had cards compromised as there have been many times where an unknown pending item showed up or a $1 item and the card company and I immediately cancelled and reissued.

And for those of you who protect your card vigilantly, do you ever write checks? Yes, you know, that thing where you hand all your account information over to someone else on a nice legible piece of paper and they, or anyone in their business or office with access, can then use that information and write all the checks they want to with it or do e-checks online.

Point is, no one should delude themselves into believing they have their privacy fully protected, not by avoiding Facebook or using fake emails or not using Alexa.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

I don't expect privacy. I watch my accounts closely. I've had credit cards hacked half a dozen times. CC companies notified me of suspicious activity and it's never cost me a penny or caused me to worry. I write way fewer checks than I used to and use separate accounts ...I transfer into checking only the amount needed to cover what I wrote.

Funny thing is I prefer online CC payments even though I've been hacked. The reason being that nothing is totally safe anyway and by this method I've had relatively easy recourse with CC companies when something was wrong.

People who think they are keeping their data private are kidding them selves. You can't.
  4. olderboater

And no overdraft protection. If I overdraft, it means I was defrauded as I'd never do it myself. I don't want that check to clear.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Check? What's a check?
    My banks pay bills only to real debtors. Pr-screened before they send.
    You ever wonder why that first bank payment takes so long?
    Company credit cards with deliberate limits.

Al else is cash, freshly printed on my fancy HP Printer.
    No problems here...
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

No overdraft. No autopay. When the dough leaves my account I want to be the one pushing the buttons.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep!!
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Got all of the above, works great, never had a problem.
    (Better be lucky than good, I guess)
    My Citybank CC however has been hacked 3 times, we did a road trip to Georgia a year ago and used the CC left and right, bunch of bogus charges
    Followed in our wake, $499 nail saloon and similar BS.
    Cash is king of course, but addicted to plastic, points and easy accounting @ tax time.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve had a few issues over the years with CC numbers being lifted at restaurants. Easy when your card goes away for a couple of minutes... I always use cash at restaurants now.

As to privacy, smartphones were when it got bad but at least there are many benefits. Data collection in Cars on the other hand is a massive privacy issue with almost no benefits to the consumer. So glad I only drive classics :)

and don’t get me started on how Obamacare killed medical privacy by mandating electronic data collection. You cane even go to a doctor and not show ID. While some argue you shouldn’t have to show ID to vote.
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

We got hit for about $ 13K in checks about 5 mos ago. Someone took a check of ours, printed it with consecutive numbers starting 150 check numbers out from our original.

They never wrote a check over $ 200.00. wrote and cashed 65 checks over a 6 hour period !!! must've had writers cramp !! Bank caught it, call us, stopped payment etc.

Had to start over with new checks, warn people that had been paid legitimately that we'd need to send new checks. A giant PITA but it did go away.

We never heard what came of the issue, the bank said they were after the people involved tho.

Took three months to get our account credited for the loses.

My wife wanted NAMES & ADDRESSES & she wanted REVENGE !!!
    Of course the bank was tight lipped.
    We did track down one of the people whose name was on 15 of the checks, some dude in Baltimore. Could they have been dumb enough to use their true name ?

We think it was some kind on inside job with that many checks cashed so fast and made out to only 3 or 4 people/companies.
  11. olderboater

I knew a case where everyone who wrote a check paying rent to a specific apartment complex was compromised and mostly e-checks. Now, a large group of people used them although they think it all originated from an office employee and her boyfriend. But many of those used them to pay personal bills like their insurance or rent or their furniture rental. Not the brightest group but over 100 tenants affected. By the next month, the complex had reduced the fee for online payment from $9.95 to $0.00 and had strongly encouraged the use of it.