Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Comfort Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Practicing MOB

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by AnotherKen, Mar 23, 2021.

1. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

I'm a bit of a computer gamer, so when I saw the title I began to wonder what monsters have to do with sailing... then I saw this and though some of you might find it amusing: https://fb.watch/4pfYLTJnnL/

I think if I got seriously into practicing MOB after seeing that I would have to take some courses in trauma surgery.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My wife, step-son and myself did study and practice MOB drills when we started boating together.
    On our 20, 34 & 58, we understood that just the three of us on long cruises, it would be up to our selves to keep each other safe.
    Williamson turns, determining wind - lee ward approaches and how to re-claim the MOB.
    If you were not already in a PFD, get one on before re-claiming any MOB.
    Radio comms was also studied.
    Fire drills were also discussed and practiced.

This started 19 years ago. We still discuss what-if's and how-to's and when the need arises, walk thru or even practice new ideas.

The BoatUS on-line study courses and state test were also a part of our family study and group education.
    Every few years we all revisit the BoatUS safety pages. Some of the extra on-line courses also.

Regarding that video, Some parts were plain stupid & negligent yet other clips are good reminders how easy and fast a MOB can happen.

Maybe not trauma surgery but good first-aid and stabilization is a part of a captains training and refreshers are great as a family also.

This is a good reminder for us; Time for another family refresher meeting, I have changed radios on the 58 and added more fire extinguishers.
    AnotherKen, captainwjm and JWY like this.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I read, admittedly a few years ago, that the # 1 cause of MOB and subsequent deaths was from men taking a "bathroom break" on deck. How did they know the reason they fell overboard? Because they were unzipped. I'm sure influx of alcohol was not a factor.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes; Lots of MOBs are found with their zipper down.
    During the late 80 / early 90s, I volunteered myself and my 28 x 10 boat to the Jax fire dept and helped when I could on the north side of Jacksonville FL, Mainly the upper Trout River area to the St Johns river.
    It was an eye opener when the guy in the water (dead or alive) was recalled with his zipper down.
    From a boat/ship, dock or even the shadows behind restaurant, some folks could not hold on to something substantial and still fell in.
    I always suspected it was that last shake that does guys in..
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I applaud Ralph on two key points. First, that he and his family has emphasized MOB training. It's a tough, but important topic, and first time you try to practice you might be alarmed how difficult it is. Second, while it's easy for those of us with licenses and experience to make fun of entry level training like the state certificates and Boat US programs, I'm glad to see Ralph point them out as useful tools. We should all continue to study in some way and they can serve as good refreshers. Just because we've seen something hundreds of times, doesn't mean a reminder isn't good. We regularly take additional advanced courses and they're useful, but not nearly as relevant to most of our boating as refreshing on the basics.
    AnotherKen likes this.