Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Power Steering Oil

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by CroixToys, Sep 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

Whilst digging around in the boat, I ran across a power steering oil reservoir that is about half full (empty?). I'd like to see this completely full. Any know what sort of oil goes in there? The stuff in there currently is a clear sort of tawny color. Think auto power steering fluid is good? What kind?

This is on a 1983 32' ACMY
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

If it's reddish coloured that will be ATF transmission fluid. If it's golden coloured it'll be a steering oil of 15 or 20 weight. That's a very broad brush stroke of a guess, is it a Glendenning system?
  3. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

It is golden in color. I didn't note the manufacturer but will do that next time I visit the old girl. Where might I get some of this stuff?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Impossible to tell if you don't even know what kind of steering system you have!!! Inboard? Stern drive?

The reservoir may not need to be full so don't ASSume it should be sometimes you need room for expansion

I'd you have inboards and the steering is Hynautics it uses a Gold colored hydraulic fluid available at most marine places although ATF can be used as well. Check the Hynautics site for info

If stern drives (possible on a small boat) then it depends on the manufacturer
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

On a 1983 32' I'd guess you're dealing with gas motors and this is the container on the front of the motor. Go to the manufacturer's rep. I know Mercruiser has their own power steering fluid. Make sure you keep dust & dirt out. Add, crank the wheel to each side and top off. Wouldn't bother changing the fluid. May create problems (dirt, improper bleeding, etc.). Never seen it go bad unless contaminated; just leak.
  6. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

It's a HyNautic

Ok, sorry for leaving out details. She's a full inboard setup with twin 350cid Crusaders. I found a manual on the system online and will try to locate oil as described in the manual.

Attached Files:

7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

indeed looks like an hynautic system. it's not power steering, it's just hydraulic. Hynautic makes system with power assist for larger boats but yours is basic hydraulic.

preferably, use hynautic fluid although it's the same as MIL Spec hydraulic fluid available from aircraft part suppliers.

you should be able to use ATF although check your specific system requirements first. the only downsise to ATF is that steering woudl be a little stiffer.

do NOT overfill it !!! keep it between the marks... and you need to use a bike pump to pressurize the system although i can't see the gauge on yours. all hynautics i've seen have a pressure gauge on the reservoir.

good sytem, reliable, little maintenance
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ummm, try reading the label on the side of the unit that is in your picture. It has all of the directions right on it.
  9. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

Yep, not power steering.
    Yep, is Hynautic hydraulic steering.
    Nope, Doesn't have directions on the side.
    Found directions though. Needs HyNautic's oil or aircraft hydraulic oil then pump it up to, I think 40 psi. Currently it is at 15 psi.

Feeling a little sheepish and stupid for posting this though. Shoulda investigated first.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

usually about 20/25 psi is enough...
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Anything above 10 is ok......but I would stay around 20-30psi. On an older boat 40 psi might make things leak.
  12. DCARD421

DCARD421 New Member

Where do you put the oil. I have the same system.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is usually a filler hole With a plug on top of the reservoir, if not the pressure gauge could the filler hole.