Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights

Power a 37 Meter Yacht with 5 Engines?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Alex, Jul 19, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Alex

Alex New Member

I am thinking about setting up 5 Engines of 1500Hp each and 5 surface drives for a Yacht of 37 meters. I am thinking in this solution because a significant saving exists in acquiring 5 engines instead of 2 engines of 3750 Hp and I can also have advantages in the use, I can use 1 engine (highly economical) or 3 engines (Medium) or 5 engines for the maximum power. All the engines will be controlled by a synchronized command.

I would like to know opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of this solution.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The logistics of this configuration would be a nightmare, in both engineering and maintenance. Five engines gives a new meaning to redundancy! There are a plethora of factors to be considered, but without knowing what hull design you are using and it's intended application, it's difficult to speculate.

The horsepower you are developing from multiple power plants and drives will not offer linear speed gains, due to increased weight, added fuel capacity and the increased drag of multiple appendages. The more practical application (if you want to call anything about this scenario practical!) would be to have two engines connected in sequence to an individual drive.

Again, without knowing your application, it's difficult to offer an encompassing answer. Can you be more specific about your hull design, the expected operating range and the purpose of such an endeavor?
  3. brianwill

brianwill New Member

I think that you'll need to contact the engine and drive manufacturers for product dimensions and weights and then hire a naval architect to put this all together. The issues of weight, center of gravity, and hull hydrodynamics could be dangerous if you don't get all of these various elements properly integrated.
  4. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Ahh, the need for speed. Another configuration would be to have a couple of diesels, let's say 12v4000's with a TF-50 turbine as a kicker placed in the center. Sort of what Penske did on Detroit Eagle. I'm curiuos as to what you have planned. Keep us in the loop.