Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

Post in BLACK

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Stainless45, Aug 23, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

Anyone have pictures to share of their Post hull painted black? Did you have it done? What was the cost?
  2. Seth Fisher

Seth Fisher Member

Nope but here is Grey.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, but any yard should be able to give you a quote for the hull. Hulls are pretty straight foward to give a price on. I'd guess around $20k.
  4. Stainless45

Thanks guys. Found some pictures of the guy on here that restored the 42. Beautiful boat, looks so good in black.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As a kid my father taught me that 'Once in everyone's life they should own a black car, but most won't do it twice'. They highlight every scratch, bit of dust and dried salt.
  6. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

You understand that a black finish will show every imperfection, dip, bulkhead pressure and other blemishes otherwise hidden. Not to mention the heat, salt and kills resale.
    Last boat I noticed being painted black went through a long board fairing process to produce a mirror finish. Quite costly
  7. Stainless45

I like the all-business look of a black hull and white upper works, very stately and classic. ALL recreational boats are white.... I'd rather set mine apart. Just personal preference.
  8. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

For a long time we only bought black cars. Had 4 of them in the drive at one point. I would NEVER own a black boat. For one, there are very few that look good in black and the other is like NYCAP said.... you see EVERYTHING on it. Especially those little Oopsies. Having the gel coat be close in color to the laminate under it has something to be said for it. :D
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve had one black car. Very nice but a nightmare. A boat? Never. First of all as others have mentioned, every imperfection in the hull will show. No fiberglass hull is perfect. There are always ripples and defects. Always. Especially on production boats.

then you have the issue of heat. Don’t know where you are but down south I ve known people who had to upgrade their AC after painting a hull black or navy. It s that bad.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Keep in mind that underneath the black is white. Look at your hull. How many minor scrapes, scratches, fender rubs has it taken in the past 10 years? Look close cause you've probably waxed most of them making them almost invisible. Each of those will leave white against a black background and stand out like a sore thumb. I was once out at Block Island and the marina had me raft against a black hulled boat. The owner freaked. I don't think he left his boat or slept the entire weekend.
  11. Stainless45

All good points. I'm not opposed to doing some touch-ups when necessary. Vinyl wrap is another approach I'm considering.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unless you're a professional I think you'll find touching up (especially Awlgrip and such) a little more involved than grabbing a brush and some paint. Fender rub will be an area bigger than your fenders. That'll be pretty obvious. Vinyl wrap is interesting, and I've seen it done on some go-fasts, but I DK how it holds up against brushes and salt water trying to blast it off with every wave especially at the bottom edge. Worth looking into though. Personally I think vinyl lettering makes a lot more sense than painting for the name and hailing port. Stays nice a lot longer than paint. I just DK how long it lasts on a whole hull.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There's a black hulled Cabo in a slip a few over from a Dark midnight blue hulled Sunseeker I manage (the color is almost black). The SF looks good and the paint job is at least 6 years old, but does show water droplets on it around the a/c discharge. The Sunseeker I manage, the hull still looks excellent and we had it sprayed early 2014. But had to touch up a few spots, the yard put a small scrape on it with one of those rolling ladders once and a neighboring boat put a 1' long scratch and it did stand out like a sore thumb. To it's credit, it is Awlcraft 2000 and the paint matched right out of the Awlgrip can years later and cannot tell where it was at all.
  14. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

There's a lot of advancing technology on wrap material. I started to look into it at first as part of headlight restoration, and then progressed to wrapping my outside rear view mirrors because of blistering.
    Material cost is reasonable, and there's a lot of field experience developing, as well as advanced adhesion improving primers for edges, like 3M Primer 94. Other amazing tech is Knifeless Tape.
    A roll of premium gloss black Avery film 6' x 75' can be had for under a grand. The premium makers are 3M and Avery. You could maybe round up some teenagers, sit them in front of YouTube how-to's and put the cheaper product on yourself as a disposable trial.
    Nice thing about it, is it can be peeled off :)
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

The other issue with the black is the heat and potential impacts on the fiberglass long term. Blisters and delamination have happened to boats due to excessive heat being introduced.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That could be an issue with a vinyl wrap as well, but with the OP being on L.I. probably much less a potential problem than down south.
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

True. Missed that detail. I sprayed my sportfish with grey metallic, and it was both beautiful as well as being good at hiding water spots and blemishes. Heated up a bit down in Florida, but the outcome was worth the offset. Showed well. Sold quickly.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a great color.
  19. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Stone grey metallic awlcraft.

IMG_3765.jpeg
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

To me, painting a Post black or some other dark hull color would be like painting a Ferrari British racing green, or American blue. Just my opinion. But, if you like black, have at it. It's your vessel.