Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Post 50 side exhaust question

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Dan balmer, Nov 25, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

i have Post 50 yr 2000 with MTU that smoke and make my son who handles cockpit fishing work for trolling sick to his stomach when trolling. I am considering installing side exhaust ports instead of transom exhaust outlet that gets caught up in station wagon effect at trolling speed Can get 10” 45 fiberglass exhaust elbow and route out the side putting the fumes in air stream along the side of the hull Anyone know about such things? Thanks
  2. porthole

porthole Member

No idea on a 50 but on my 34 Luhrs with twin Detroits my exhaust was on the side.
    Still smelled with the added benefit of having exhaust soot on the sides.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

With side exhaust you also have to be mindful where your fenders hang. You don’t want to get a fender in way of the exhaust when you are tied to the dock. I used to have side exhaust for a generator and it was right in the aft corner where I needed to put a fender. It was a pain. I relocated the exhaust to come out of the main engine exhaust tube in the transom.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you fix the engines to not smoke?
    Or is it the clear but still obnoxious exhaust stink you are explaining.

I used rubber 90s clamped on to my exhaust outlets and pointed them down. At speed, the exhaust blows into the hollow behind the transom. At idle, lost of splashing but less noise and stink.
    Tie a safety line to them. If you don't like them, no mods were made to your boat.
    Now, The real trick, underwater exhaust further forward.