Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Cross

Post 42 sportfish weight

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Weldcrane, Mar 7, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Weldcrane

Weldcrane Member

Can someone tell me why the new generation weighs so much more than the previous ones ?
  2. My Affair

My Affair Member

Less wood, more fiberglass
  3. Weldcrane

Weldcrane Member

Newer 42 weighs in about 43000 lbs ?
  4. porthole

porthole Member

That is about 12,000 more then my 1980 42
  5. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Have wondered that myself. Especially with the Volvo or Cummins engines weighing less than detroits. So the weight difference is actually even more. The new generation seem to have a higher profile, to me. Bow is higher out of the water and overall height is higher. So it may be more fiberglass with these height changes. Still doesn't seem to justify over 10000 lbs.
  6. porthole

porthole Member

The older boats had more wood topsides, so that would account for some of the less weight - maybe. I had a lot of dense mahogany on our boat.. But, older hulls, especially Jersey built boats also seemed to have way more glass and resin then what was needed until builders perfected the layup process.
  7. Weldcrane

Weldcrane Member

10,000 pounds would have to relate to a lot of resin wouldn't it ?
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Sometimes the older weight data of boats were not accurate as they did not typically use load cells to measure real weight.

Travel lift weights can be notoriously inaccurate if they haven't been recently calibrated or you do not factor in the angle of the lifting slings.
  9. porthole

porthole Member

IDK, 10-12,000 pound for a pretty much same length and beam has to have some reason.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Here is a good synopsis of the 42 Post: http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/power/post42.asp

The 2nd generation 42 started in 1997 is 10" longer and has a draft of 4', which is 1' deeper than the 1st generation 42 which was built from 1974 - 1983. That deeper draft explains the weight difference, it is not a frp construction issue or different engines, it was just designed to displace more water.

In short, the 2nd generation has been designed with more volume, has a 1' deeper draft, and therefore weighs more.
  11. Weldcrane

Weldcrane Member

Size does matter thank for explaining
  12. Weldcrane

Weldcrane Member

You seem to be extremely knowledgeable with the construction of post did you work for a post at sometime ?
  13. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

No I did not work at Post, although our family had one of the few 46 Post’s out on the West Coast and got the first hand Post owner experience for about 7 years.

Another comment on the 42 old vs new. The older 42 had a longer cockpit, but the new 42 was a foot wide at the transom.