Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

Post 42 Sportfish Hi Pitched turbo whistle

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by John Fleming, Oct 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John Fleming

John Fleming New Member

Good Morning All! Yesterday, my wife and I took a test ride on a 2001 Post 42 sport fish with TAMD 74EDC Volvo engines with about 900 hours on them. The boat ran great and easily cruised at 31 mph at 2400 rpm. We enjoyed everything about this boat except one thing. We noticed a very high pitched, piercing whistle at all speeds within the cruising range. I could hear it on the bridge and when I went down the the cockpit to investigate further I found that the sound was emanating from the engine room access door and hatch, which made perfect sense. However, when I covered certain areas of the door seams with my hands it seemed to change. I'm wondering if this is normal for this boat/engine combination? I can't imagine listening to this for hours on end during a long cruise. Not only that, what I can imagine is our two cocker spaniels may be howling with ear pain. Can anyone shed any light on this characteristic?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I found that the sound was emanating from the engine room access door and hatch, which made perfect sense. However, when I covered certain areas of the door seams with my hands it seemed to change.

It that air getting drawn into the E R? Sound go away when the hatch was opened?
    It's been a while but I have been on air starved boats.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the noise is coming out of the engine room, it is probably not starved for air as it would be sucking air in and noise wouldn't be coming out so much. But yes, try to open the engine room door at cruise rpm and see if there is any suction on it. If not, gasket the engine room door better. Yes, I have been on some SF where the turbo noise was unbearable at the helm....I ran a 32' cabo express from Fort Laud to Savannah and the mate and I had to wad up paper towels and put them in our ears and NO WAY to even hear each other yell at each other hardly.
  4. John Fleming

John Fleming New Member

That was my initial thought but when I opened the hatch the sound was even louder and more piercing.
  5. John Fleming

John Fleming New Member

The good news on the Post 42 is that there is a door on the bridge at the top of the ladder that can be closed which kills the noise on the bridge. Unfortunately, it doesn't help in the cockpit or saloon. Hi pitched sounds that are simply annoying to humans can be painful to canines and we have two of them on our crew! I've never noticed anything remotely close to this on our 38 Rampage Express with C9 Cats.
  6. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

My Ocean as the exact same motors. I have that whistle. I've gotten used to it but it is distinct. WOT for those motors is 2600 and cruise according to manual is 200 off, so.. 2400. I run my engines pretty easy at 2200 but I will say the whistle is less noticeable as you get closer to 2400 rpm. My engine room door could use better gasketing as well, just haven't gotten around to it.
  7. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

I have no comment on the turbo noise but are you sure you were cruising at 31 MPH (27 knots)? That seems awfully fast for that boat from what I've read.
  8. John Fleming

John Fleming New Member

According to the Garmin GPS we were cruising between 30.9-31.2 mph at 2400 rpm. WOT was 34.7 mph.
  9. John Fleming

John Fleming New Member

I suppose it's possible to become accustomed to that whistle depending on how sensitive one is to those high pitched sounds but I wouldn't want to have to find out who could and who couldn't. Plus, I'm concerned about the four legged crew members. I don't have this issue now with my 38 Rampage/Cat C9 combination and I don't want to buy any new problems. The dealer called today to tell me they were going to gasket the engine hatch and door. Perhaps that will solve the problem.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The sound and sounds that we can't hear (Our 4 legged friends can) are different.
    If dawgs are a part of your usual cruises, then bring the bud along for a ride. Watch him and try to draw from his behavior if he's (she) is comfortable.
    It's not a fun boat if all of the family is not having fun.

Josie and I luv da puppies (like grand kids,, they go home), we cruise with kats.
    All are happy till the beam rolls.
    Tiger still gets S Sick on the beam rolls.
    Josie still won't let me get stabilizers,,, for da kat.
  11. Unavailable

Unavailable New Member

I have a 99 with the TAMD 73P's (A little less HP and torque than the 74's). You definitely know when the turbos are spooling (around 1600 RPM). My boat was stripped pained and has all new gaskets, and there is nothing that will mute the sound. You do however get used to it. I cruise around 2250 fully loaded bait ice fuel ect and run a consistent 25 knots in a 1-3 ft sea with equates to 28.75 MPH. So the boat is running to spec.
  12. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

We almost bought one a few years ago, cruise speed was one of my concerns as I was told 20 knots.....guess I should have done some more research!
  13. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

My bother has Volvo's in his boat, slightly different model than these, and he has loud turbo whine as well. Assuming it is normal for these motors? I guess all you can do is improve the sound insulation to tone it down.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is there a turbo wrap and air in silencer for these rigs?
    Remember the original air silencers for the Detroits? Size of a skinny trash can with a foam end covers.
  15. Unavailable

Unavailable New Member

Mine Tops out at 31 Knots at the governed 2600 RPM. I did however shed some useless weight, like gelcoat, washer dryer ect.

The Volvo's are pretty fuel efficient. 31 to 33 gph at 2250.
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

How did you shed weight from gelcoat? Stripped it?
  17. Unavailable

Unavailable New Member

Gel Coat was stripped down to glass (the whole boat) the boat was epoxy primed then Sprayed. This was done just before I purchased the boat.. 6 years later it has held up great...
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Interesting. This must have been one of the boats with the gel coat problem. Did Post do the work?
  19. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Interesting indeed, Weight difference between polyester gelcoat removed and ultra build, high build and a tad bit of Awl Fair applied.
  20. Unavailable

Unavailable New Member

Gelcoat Problem, Yes... The work was done in Maryland on the Chesapeake before I purchased the boat. Was not completed by post.