Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Portside water tank in 1987 46' post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Tommy Rice, Feb 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

Ok has anyone had problems with accessing the water tank on the port side under the Galley mine's leaking?
  2. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

Surely someone has a 46 post with 2 water tanks and one of the tanks is on the port side under the galley on a 87 or later year model.
  3. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Patience Grasshopper! The forum is a little slow this time of year. The Post guys are quick to help out and I am sure someone will chime in. Obviously I can't, my antique has the water tanks under the cockpit.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have the same set up.

Fortunately, mine are not leaking.

There are plywood access panels into each one of the voids.
    you may be able to move the tank into another compartment to lift out and replace whole without ripping up the floor.
    My guess would be to remove the washing machine through hatch to the aft of the stair hatch, then remove the starboard tank, then slide the empty port tank into the starboard void. Then remove and replace.
  5. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

You hit the nail on the head. When I finally got down and took the entire compartment under the galley loose piece by piece. The access panel allows the tank to go into the center compartment (no washing machine) but the waste tank and the second water tank have to be removed first. That's on the agenda for tomorrow. The good news is the tank will come out according to measurements.
    Thanks for the reply guys I was feeling like I had the only 1987, 46 on the forum.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Great, I forgot the waste tank was in that forward starboard compartment.
    Where is your washing machine and dryer?
    Some of the earlier models have a washing machine in the cockpit.

By the way the through hull shut off for my generator is in that port side compartment under a hatch in the floor of the compartment.
    I owned the boat for a month before I found it!
    Its on my list of "to dos" to relocate it into the ER for easier access.
  7. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

8. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

I'm not sure what happened to my reply.
  9. leeky

leeky Senior Member

You put it in the quoted material box for RT46's post. You can see your reply if you click in that box (the box will expand). In case I'm not making myself perfectly clear, here is your reply:
    "The washing machine was gone when I bought the boat. The dryer was removed yesterday to make access for the removal of the portside water tank.

I'm OK with the intake for the raw water pump (generator) but the chase for the hoses and wiring going forward is a nightmare.
    The room and access is great in the compartment now that the "Dryer" is gone (it didn't work anyway). OK back to the grindstone time to pull the portside tank today."
  10. leeky

leeky Senior Member

You put it in the quoted material box for RT46's post. You can see your reply if you click in that box (the box will expand). In case I'm not making myself perfectly clear, here is your reply:
    "The washing machine was gone when I bought the boat. The dryer was removed yesterday to make access for the removal of the portside water tank.

I'm OK with the intake for the raw water pump (generator) but the chase for the hoses and wiring going forward is a nightmare.
    The room and access is great in the compartment now that the "Dryer" is gone (it didn't work anyway). OK back to the grindstone time to pull the portside tank today."
  11. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

Thanks Leeky computers are not my specialty.
  12. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

To finish up on the progress both tanks are out of the boat and the one with the crack in it is the focus of the day. I found out you can weld the polyethylene, you need a high output soldering iron (200 watt or better) and the correct welding rod. It will be high density or low density plastic Mine is low. Take a dremmel tool and clean out the crack and make a channel to work the plastic rod into, when it cools it should be good to go. All the other tank needs is a tank level sender. The windows are the next project.
  13. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

By the way what is the make and model of your washing machine?
  14. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Sanyo but its nolonger in production.

if your goes under the stairs like mine there are a few compact models that will fit.
  15. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

Got any info on make or model or where to look?
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Are you NUTS??? Do you want to do that job twice? Do not weld a 20 year old plastic tank, even if the weld holds it will just fail somewhere else. Buy a new tank for both sides while they're out,
  17. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

How about lending me about $1500.00 and delay my spring fishing season for a month while I wait on Kracor to build new tanks?
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

20 years is the lifespan of a plastic tank. Welding it won't hold, a month maybe, and it will start leaking again if you can even get it to hold in the first place. Isn't there an off the shelf plastic tank that is the same size? $1500 is the cost of owning a yacht, but to go to the trouble of taking the holding tank down, out of the hole, as well as the other tank. The holding tank part of it is the worst as you can't get it totally empty, can't get the smell out, etc.
  19. My Affair

My Affair Member

My water tanks are under the cockpit, I'm curious what you have in that space behind the fish boxes?
  20. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have empty storage space forward of the fish boxes.
    One side has a compressor for the cockpit freezer and some cutouts for 5gallon oil pans. the other side is unused storage space.