Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Polar Explorer Robert Swan

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by MBACH, Aug 26, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MBACH

MBACH Senior Member

I recently attended a lecture in Nantucket by Sir Robert Swan. This is the only individual who has WALKED to both the South and North Pole. His recounting of these expeditions is interesting enough, but Robert, who is a good motivational speaker, is very inspiring in his efforts to bring attention to preservation of Anartica, global warming and getting young people to "get off the couch" and become inspired themselves into shaping our planet.

His small group, 2041, has an old British Steel Challenge sailboat and will be traveling the Eastern Seaboard this fall. Each March Swan takes a group of young people to Antartica to his E-station for an educational experience. I threatened to send my own 17 year old along if he doesn't shape up!

For more info on Swan and his lecture circuit, go to www.2041.com.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I hope your son is smart enough to be a real pain to you. What an experience for a 17 year old. I can only imagine.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

These Polar explorer guys are really tough stuff.

But even they get the scares too. Just today, Pen Hadder, who has walked to the North Pole, Hot-Air ballooned it and walked his 15 year old daughter there.

He was on a cheap flight to Spain today with his family when the plane lost power and had to make an emergency landing in France. Now when he says he was scared whittless, you know it was a close one.